• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

socket callback

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, Ranchers;
I am writing a java client socket.

The server socket is written in c++ and is running out there, it keeps listening to a socket on a specific port, once it receives something from the listened socket, it does some calculations and returns the results to the same listened socket(or possibly another one).

Now come back to my java client socket, it sends a string to the socket which it is connected to, and then it may need to do something else, once there is something returned from the server in the socket, the client should be informed and pick up the corresponding result for the string it just sent.
For this problem, I need an asynchronous callback mechanism in my client side, all I have is the server's IP and the port number the socket will be connected. I've read a couple of posts and articles in the web, but seems did not resolve my problem, can any one help out? any help is greatly appreciated.

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
You can do the asynchronous bit in your code:

If you want the worker object to do a callback on some object on its own thread, maybe pass the callback object in the constructor and forget about it:

Do those look interesting?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic