• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

join fetch

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Friends,

An excerpt from "Pro Hibernate 3":

If you would like to start optimizing performance, you can ask Hibernate to fetch the associated objects and collections for an object in one query. If we were lazy loading with Hibernate, the objects would not be initialized until we accessed them. If we use fetch on a join in our query, we can ask Hibernate to retrieve the objects in the collection at the time the query executes. Add the fetch keyword after the join in the query:

When you use fetch for a query like this, Hibernate will return only Supplier objects, not the Product objects. This is because you are specifying the join so Hibernate knows which objects to fetch (instead of lazy loading). If you need to get the Product objects, access them through the associated Supplier object. You cannot use the properties of the Product objects in expressions in the where clause, for instance. Use of the fetch keyword overrides any settings you have in the mappings file for object initialization.

So what I understand from this excerpt is that:

1. "If we use fetch on a join in our query, we can ask Hibernate to retrieve the objects in the collection at the time the query executes"

AND at the same time

2. "When you use fetch for a query like this, Hibernate will return only Supplier objects, not the Product objects"

My Question: Am I the only one who sees the contradiction between these assertions?

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK, I had to read it a few times to see what they were saying too. What they mean is that you get a List of Supplier objects returned with each Supplier object's collection of Products being fully populated.

As opposed to a List of Product objects being returned.

Basically you can only do

List<Supplier> = query.list();

you cannot do

List<Product> = query.list();

In the List<Supplier> each supplier will have all their related products in there.

Mark

Joseph Sweet
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks,
I thought it would return a List of Object arrays, each array consists of a pair of a Supplier Object and a Product object.

I think that is what that should have returned if I had used simply join, without the fetch keyword. A List of arrays of a Supplier Object and a Product proxy. So I would expect the fetch simply exchange the Product proxy with a Product populated Object. Actually, it's quite hard for me to guess what is exactly going to be returned.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic