• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Performance / Security Question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This may be the incorrect forum for this question, but I thought I would ask anyway.
I have an EJB which needs to make a remote call to another EJB. Currently, I have implemented an AXIS message-style web service which can act as a proxy to the remote EJB. Obviously, I can also invoke a remote call to the EJB. Please note that the remote call could very well be a machine in a different enterprise, hence the use of a web service permits me to penetrate the firewall.
Thus, the questions are as follows:
1. If all things considered are the same, from a performance perspective, which would be most likely more efficient?
a) A call to the web service proxy.
b) Through a remote call if the machine is not behind a firewall.
2. If the remote call is more efficient, is there any way to ensure a remote EJB call to pass through a firewall?
Thanks.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From the performance tests we've run we've found that a call with RMI-IIOP is about 5-7 times faster than a web services SOAP/HTTP call.
And no, there's generally no way to tell which to use automatically -- this will probably end up being a configuration parameter you'll have to set up on your EJB clients.
Kyle

ahmad namini
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Kyle:
My first reaction to the 5-7 times is WOW (i wouldn't think that it would be that high!). Can you explain a little about your test-bed. I will definitely create a small test-bed, and check the performance issues as well.
Are there any rules-of-thumb to better enhance the web service proxy. Security is a major concern of our clients, and thus, a web service over HTTP(S) seems to be the ideal answer.
Thanks again.
[ November 07, 2002: Message edited by: Ahmad Namini ]

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic