• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Prerequisites for learning J2ME

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm new to Java and to programming. I've taken one Java course (it was fun!), am enrolled in another one now, and am scheduled to take a third course in the fall. I am especially interested in using Java for wireless and small devices. I would like to know at what point it would be realistic for me to start learning J2ME. Generally speaking, what should I have learned before trying J2ME?
- SA

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
There really aren't any formal prereqs, in that you can just start by programming J2ME once you know Java. However, it is important to have a good understanding of OOA/OOD and Java. This is because J2ME programming is often done on constrained devices, where you need to tweak it hard to squeeze out every bit of performance. Whenever you push the limits of performance (for any software on any device, including PCs), you need to have a good understanding of it, to insure that you don't shoot yourself in the foot.
After you feel comfortable with some basic J2SE apps, start out by writing a simple midlet, and go from there.
--Mark
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic