• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Blueprints for Wireless

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Sun just announced it's blueprints for wireless Java, using J2ME and J2EE technologies to work together.
http://java.sun.com/features/2001/11/j2eebluprnts.html

--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Awesome. Thanks for the update.
How well versed should I be in J2EE to help me make it as a J2ME developer? I'm SCJP2 (but from your other posts, i can tell you place no value on that). I know the bare minimum of servlets and JSP. And I'm just starting out in the J2ME area (I bought a book, downloaded the emulators, and have yet to code anything significant). So now it seems I have to know J2EE as well. I don't know what to do, J2ME or J2EE. Any suggestions?
My goal is to be a J2ME developer. For now.

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Christophe Lee:
Awesome. Thanks for the update.
How well versed should I be in J2EE to help me make it as a J2ME developer? I'm SCJP2 (but from your other posts, i can tell you place no value on that). I know the bare minimum of servlets and JSP. And I'm just starting out in the J2ME area (I bought a book, downloaded the emulators, and have yet to code anything significant). So now it seems I have to know J2EE as well. I don't know what to do, J2ME or J2EE. Any suggestions?
My goal is to be a J2ME developer. For now.

That's a very good question. The field is so new, I can't give an answer with any certainty. My company is probably one of the first to focus on entrprise wireless (back in 2000), and we're not too picky, as long as you know Java. But I also think we recognize smart people can learn on the job. I should also say I haven't yet read the blueprints, so I'm guessing as to what they would say from talks I've had with sun engineers and others.
The heart of sun's J2EE blueprints are EJBs, so I would suggest learning those. That's where the work gets done. Servlet's and JSPs are used as part of the presentation layer. We will porbably still see them used often, since on small devices (e.g. MIDP), HTTP is the protocol to use (for better or worse). I don't think you necessarily need to know these technologies inside and out. Understanding the basics of what EJBs are and how they work is important, and being able to write a simple one would be useful. Knowing off the top of your head how to deploy one and all the issues involved may not be as important. A big company will have J2EE guys for that. I'm guessing you should be more knowledgable about servlet's, because that is where the back end work will be "translated" into a format for the mobile device. Again, having increadible deep knowledge of servlets isn't 100% necessary.
So basically, I'm suggesting that you have enough of an idea that when someone shows you the big picture, you can follow what's happening on the other tiers. Probably the further from the device, the less you need to know, e.g. know more about servlets, and less about databases.
When trying to get a job, remember that there will be plenty of solid J2EE guys just trying to learn J2ME, so you might not be able to compete with them head to head in that sense. Instead, take the other route and sell yourself as a strong J2ME guy, who has some basic skills with J2EE.
Again, I may be totally off here. I'll try to remember to post again after I've had time to go through the blueprints.

--Mark
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic