• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

many language how to?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I have English , Chinese, Japanese and Hindi on my mobile phone. I want to use an application in Tamil (it is an Indian language). How to implement this? Do I have to load tamil ttf font in resource folder and then use unicode? Or do I have to use some other form of ttf? Pl help resolve this.
thanks In advance.

senu shankar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
doesn't any body know? Strange. Experts on board? Hasn't ANYONE developed a foriegn langauge midlets?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If your phone doesn't support Tamil natively (e.g., you can't switch the menus to use Tamil), then it won't support Tamil in MIDlet UI components either. In this case, you could still display Tamil characters in a MIDlet by including the font as a PNG image file in the MIDlet's JAR file and drawing the characters on a MIDP 'Canvas' (use a clip window to make only the needed character get drawn). However, entering text in Tamil would probably be very clumsy.
If the phone does support Tamil natively, then your MIDlet should just automatically work in Tamil too. Java language characters and Strings all use Unicode, so a MIDlet should work in Tamil without modification: just use Tamil characters for all the messages you display, and e.g. TextFields will use Tamil for input. If your messages are in your Java source code and that source code is in ASCII or ISO-8859-1, you'll have to represent the Tamil characters using Java's Unicode escape sequences, e.g.: '\u01C9'.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic