• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question about concurrency and safe publication...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I am in reference to Java Concurrency in Practice by Brian Goetz and the following code snippet from page 51.

I read from the aforementioned book that the assertSanity method can throw an AssertionError as a result of unsafe publication of an Holder object. I am having trouble understanding how n can be different from itself as a result of unsafe publication.

Can anyone please comment.

Thanks in advance,

Julien.

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You posted this same question in the Sun concurrency forum.

Try posting questions about the book on the author's blog.

Julien Martin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

You posted this same question in the Sun concurrency forum.

Well spotted! I am sorry if this violates the netiquette. I really thought one could post the same question on several forums....

Ranch Hand
jQuery Google App Engine Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guessed ,Sun forum is different than Java-ranch's.
So there has been no conflict.

best regards,
omi

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You're certainly free to post in both places, but in that case we'd like you to BeForthrightWhenCrossPostingToOtherSites, as would the folks over at the other forums. It's the polite thing to do.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

If this is not an atomic operation, it can result in 'true' if multiple threads change the value of 'n'

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Satya Maheshwari:

If this is not an atomic operation, it can result in 'true' if multiple threads change the value of 'n'

It's indeed not an atomic operation, but the class has no setters, so the value can't be changed. The secret to the problem here is in unsafe publication of the object, and to understand that one has to understand the so-called memory model of Java.

I have read that book, and wholeheartedly recommend it to every Java developer. There's much to know about concurrency in Java -a topic that gets more important by the year, what with multithreaded processors and multicore processors-, and this book teaches it all, including all the stuff that got introduced in Java 5.
[ August 15, 2008: Message edited by: Ulf Dittmer ]

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[Ulf]: It's indeed not an atomic operation, but the class has no setters, so the value can't be changed.

Well, the value does change within the constructor. The field n is zero at the beginning of the constructor, and set to some other value by the end. So if one thread create a Holder and immediately passes the reference to another thread which calls assertSanity(), it's possible for the second thread to see an error.

Julien Martin
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks all for your input!!

Satya Maheshwari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

So if one thread create a Holder and immediately passes the reference to another thread

Could you please elaborate a bit more on this? Did you mean that another thread calls assertSanity() on an instance of 'Holder' while the original thread is still in the process of 'constructing' this instance and hence n!=n may turn out to be true. But that does not sound possible how could we call an instance method before the instance has still in the process of being created. I am confused here

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Satya Maheshwari:

Could you please elaborate a bit more on this? Did you mean that another thread calls assertSanity() on an instance of 'Holder' while the original thread is still in the process of 'constructing' this instance and hence n!=n may turn out to be true. But that does not sound possible how could we call an instance method before the instance has still in the process of being created. I am confused here

When the constructor lets the "this" reference escape.
Have a look at this article for more info.

Satya Maheshwari
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

When the constructor lets the "this" reference escape.

Yes I agree. Thanks for pointing this out.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If the constructor lets a "this" reference escape, that's a problem, true. However that doesn't happen in the Holder code above - and yet it's still possible for assertSanity() to fail.

[Satya]: Could you please elaborate a bit more on this? Did you mean that another thread calls assertSanity() on an instance of 'Holder' while the original thread is still in the process of 'constructing' this instance and hence n!=n may turn out to be true. But that does not sound possible how could we call an instance method before the instance has still in the process of being created. I am confused here

Well, this is one of many weird reordering effects that can occur when using multiple threads if you don't make proper use of thread-safety techniques like locking or using final. You could have code like this:

Here it certainly looks like new Holder() constructor will complete before assertSanity() is run. Unfortunately, that's not really guaranteed here. The processor can reorder some instructions in ways that do not affect the result of a single thread, but may be extremely counterintuitive when you work with multiple threads. Also some threads may be operating on cached data, and so changes made by one thread may not have been written to main memory yet, or other threads may not have read the data from main memory yet. In other words, with multiple threads, Weird Stuff Happens. Using final variables is one way to protect yourself from this sort of thing.

Straws are for suckers. Now suck on this tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic