• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to retrive data in Applet from a webserver !

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Friends !
I am trying to retrive data in Applet from a webserver using RMI. The webserver itself has got database. It works well with appletviewer.. but doesn't work with anyof the browser.
What should I write in an applet to inform that I am connecting (creating socket) to a webserver from where it has come from !!! The applet has sandbox restriction.. and it can connect (create a socket) to a webserver form where its loaded !
Can anyone please justify - how to do this !?
Thanks.
- Keyur

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If your applet is to be used over the internet, you may want to do a bit of a redesign.
First, IE does not support RMI.
Second, RMI uses a port that is blocked by most corporate firewalls. You can set RMI to do tunneling, but I have not tried it.
I made my own applet to servlet communication stuff. If you are interested, I've posted it here at the ranch. See www.javaranch.com/common.html

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic