• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Full time review, even it means resigning from current job

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,
I need your advice, i've studied and preparing for java programmer certification since last January 2002, while on a overseas project (Saudi Arabia) although my task here is only support...and i'm tired of this crap since i have a Degree in Computer Engineering.. for my review i've just finished the book all in one java certification and decided to take a JQplus exam, and i just awfully scored 31%!, now i'm beggining to consider resigning when i go back to my country so that i can review full-time since i can only review less than a hour each day.
I want to ask if it worth it, between loosing my current job and reviewing full-time, also i'm planning to take a master's degree, i was thinking if i can attain this two thing, i would find a much better job...
Please advice...
Thanks,
Roy

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I want to ask if it worth it, between losing my current job and reviewing full-time. Also i'm planning to take a master's degree, i was thinking if i can attain these two things, i would find a much better job...
The way the economy is right now, if I had a job, I would keep it until I found a better job. But if you are going to quit working to get a Master's degree anyway, studying full time for the SCJP2 certification would surely be worth the time in my opinion.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First of all don't panic!!!
I agree with Marilyn if you have a job keep it I believe having work experience has more weight that having a certification per say, but that's my opinion Having a certificate will help you land a better job in the future, and it may help you get a pay raise in you current job?
Why don't you make flash cards to help you review during lunch and breaks? You might be able to sneak an extra 30-60min a day. Also if you take some form of transit to work the flash cards are a nice way to review each day.
Anyway just some ideas to think about
About your master's that's another question, a master degree will help you start a job at a higher salary range, but that's not always a guarantee, as for job security who know? I think if you become specialized in one area too much it's make finding a job a lot much harder and limits you choice of jobs to pick from.
If you have enough healthy brain cells to get you a Master degree then I would say go for it

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I can only speak for myself, but I found the All-In-One Java Prep book (I have the Barry Boone/William Stanek 2nd edition) kinda horrible. Sorry guys but the there were far two many mistakes and I didnt find that it covered the material very thoroughly.
My advice is pick up RHE Complete Java 2 Certification Guide. It seems to be one of, if not THE favourite.
Give it a read. I found it much more enjoyable and informative. (a rare but good combination)
Hope that helps

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My two cents..
These are the questions i would ask myself.
1) Do I need the money from your over seas role?
2) Do I think there is chance of advancement in your current role?
3) Will my experience in my current role contribute to your chosen career path in the industry?
4) Am i satisified over all with your current role
5) Am i prepared to become an umemployed full time student? How many years am i prepared to spend on studying full time
6) Is the IT job market soft in my home locale?
7) How is a master degree viewed my the IT industry back home? Would a master degree help me at all in getting an interview/role/desired salary in the current market

In my view, a master degree only shows one's persistence and consistency, apart from that, not much.. i almost wish i hadn't started my master's at all, for the recruitment agencies here don't seem to respond too well to it.
One would have to carefully weigh the pros and cons to reach a decision like this..

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Applying for a job is a lot like applying for a loan: you have a much better chance of getting one if you show that you don't need one.
So, my advice would be to keep your current job until you have a firm offer for another one in hand.
Junilu

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic