• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Threads - Runnable vs. Extending Thread

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am a little confused on the way the Runnable interface is working. If I had some code:

I don't understand why I have to use t.sleep() within the run() method, but only sleep() within the synchronized method. Could anyone explain why it is so?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you implement a Runnable interface you are not subclass from the Thread class so you don't get the sleep() method for free, that's why you need to make a call to Thread.sleep(); which is a public static method!
Take a look an the sample code below, look at how the Runner and Worker classes are declared, note how I am making a call to sleep inside the run method of each class.

[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: Rajinder Yadav ]

Rajinder Yadav
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Valentin, isn't this when you come in and enforce the naming policy for our new member

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Didn't you do it ?
I know that we can enforce the policy but also Any member can remind the policy.
So zmg501 please read our naming policy and re register.
Thanks
www.javaranch.com/name.jsp

Zack Green
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the replies, that clears up some stuff for me, but I still have a question. Where are the wait() and notify() methods located? I'm just wondering why, when I implement Runnable, I use:

I'm wondering why I don't have to use the statement t.wait() ??? This code is from within a synchronized method. Thanks.

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Look in class Object for wait() and notify()

Rajinder Yadav
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Zack, I made a mistake in my previous code post. I used 'Thread.sleep()' in the Worker class, but I've changed it to 'sleep()', so take a look at the code sample again please
The idea was to show that in class Runner you need to use the static method 'Thread.sleep(), while in the Worker class you can simply use the class's 'sleep()' method.
The code shows the difference between subclassing and implementing an interface.
To follow up on your latest reply, there are a few concepts in work here that you should clear up!
1. Know what subclassing does for you
2. Understand the difference between subclassing and implementing an interface in Java
3. Know what a class static method is and how they are used, in other words, no instance reference is required!
4. Look at class Object, it defines the methods wait() and notify()....all java class are subclass of class Object (that's a given)
The following code will output a value of 'true', this proves that class A 'is-a' a subclass of class Object.
class A {}
A a = new A();
System.out.println(a instanceof Object);
(*) javac converts the definition 'class A' to 'class A extends Object' on your behalf
This reply is somewhat terse, and I'm sure you already know the first 3 things I listed, but it's gives you some things to think about
[ March 03, 2002: Message edited by: Rajinder Yadav ]

We must storm this mad man's lab and destroy his villanous bomb! Are you with me tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic