• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Printing to a Printer

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Scenario : Im running a CGI application on a Windows NT Server that is basically designed to allow customers to shop on-line (sound familiar ?). One of the HTML pages generated displays the Shopping Cart contents (including SKU number, quantity, price, description, etc..,).
Question : I was wondering if there was a way I could allow the user to click a button on the page to print the shopping cart contents? The trick is that I want to allow the information to be passed directly to the user's local (client)default printer (without browser print dialogs and without having to display a 'Printable' page). I have thought of using Javascript but it doesnt come close to accomplishing this and, also, Java. Due to Java's "Sandbox" that would apply to this applet, it doesnt look like Im able to create a Print Job or do any type of file maintenance anyway (I think). Any suggestions to whether I could still use Java and/or Javascript in any way or if I could use some other type of scripting language (as it has to run on the client-side)? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic