• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

"Popping" an applet out of the page

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is there a way to give the user of an applet the option to display the applet outside of the browser window? I'm pretty sure I have seen this done before and when popped out the applet area in the browser says something like "This applet is being displayed in a separate window" or something like that. The reason I ask is that the user may want to display the applet in a frame that is bigger than the applet tag is allowing. I'd like to show the applet in the webpage, but offer them a button that will "pop" it into its own frame. (yes, I know WebStart is a possible solution, but it's not an option for me)
I think this should be fairly easy for me since my main component is a JPanel that is simply added to the applet.
Hmmm. I just checked and and in my init() method in the JApplet, I create the main JPanel and add it to my JApplet. It looks like I should be able to also creat a new button and when pressed, create a JFrame and remove the panel from the applet, and add it to the JFrame. Guess i'll give that a try.
Brian

Brian Pipa
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In case anybody was wondering, that worked

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Cool. Thanks for letting us know how you got on.

If you look closely at this tiny ad, you will see five bicycles and a naked woman:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic