• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCJP 1.5 Query

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi to all,

I would like to write SCJP1.5 exam, coming november. I have been working in Java 1.4 for 6 months, but I am new to this 1.5.

What should I do Initially? Which book to follow? Is K&B book enough?.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Initially take one of the mock exams available online WITHOUT any preparation. Just sit down and write it.
Then assess your score and your weak areas. See where you're falling short. Then estimate the effort that will be needed to strengthen these areas. If you've already been working (as in a college or are you a programmer?) with 1.4 for six months you should be in a fairly decent shape but might trip up on the ticky questions, of which there are plenty.
Do NOT set a November date without first assessing where you stand. That's impractical.
See where you are, think about how long it'll take you to get into shape for the exam, and then add an at least 15% overhead and estimate when you'll be ready and set that as your date.
Good luck!

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It all depends on your comfort with Java SE 5.0 (and J2SE 1.4 for that matter - you could always take the 1.4 SCJP).

My feeling is initially, the best thing to do is to get some practice down with 5.0 and actually write some code with it. You'll learn what the language features can and can't do, and it'll give you more insight for when it's time to sit for the exam.

Material-wise, personally, I mostly used the Programmer's Notebook from O'Reilly to get myself up to speed with the features I used less frequently that had been brought in with 5.0. I did glance in K&B (I do think it's a good and useful book), but I felt a quick-and-dirty summary was more what I needed, given that I felt more comfortable with the language.

Good luck!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I would like to write SCJP1.5 exam, coming november. I have been working in Java 1.4 for 6 months, but I am new to this 1.5.

Is it not better to: learn Java 5.0, work with Java 5.0, and then get certified by passing SCJP 5.0?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was planning to take SCJP for 1.4 a year ago, but I decided to save my money and strengthen my 1.5 skill instead. I think Java 1.6 will be rolling out soon, so 1.4 is near ending of its life cycle. Why get certified on an old technology, when you have a choice of getting certified on the most current one.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic