• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Hows it working for Consulting firm

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
I am a BS in computer science from India. I graduated in 1999 .I have an offer from a consulting firm in USA. To be frank i have do not have a real project experience on java . Can any guys suggest me , should i take up the offer as consultant or should i look for a direct employment as entry level in USA. Will USA employers give credit to my Indian BS degree and SCJP status? Will the job at client end be very demanding from point of view of a some what fresh programmer like me? Can any one share their thoughts with me ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IMO: What really counts is an experience, you knowledge and abilities. The degree is something that you have to have (doesn't have to be in CS) for Labor Certification. Reasonable employs will check your knowledge themselves without really carrying about your degree (if you want to impress someone: get one from MIT ;-)). I came to US while I was still working on my Master's theses in CS (that was only for vacation back then), but there is so much exiting projects happening in US rite know so It was hard to pass on them, and I stayed. It is defiantly a beautiful country and very nice people! Starting of as a consultant? It depends on many factors so you have to review whole package. I'm really enjoying it (consulting): you get to work on many different projects, meet lots of new people, but you are on the move all the time (it might be good or bad).
Good luck.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My experience with consulting is it's not for newbies. Not just because of programming skills, but the IT culture, corporate culture, deadlines, unrealistic project plans or unrealistic people all apply pressure that, for the greenhorn, may be a little overwhelming. Additionally companies usually expect a lot out of consultants cause they're paying a lot.
IMO the better route would be to find a good company and learn the ropes. If you're good and want to make the big bucks try consulting.
I consulted for a few years made good money, but decided I wanted to belong somewhere. So, I got out of it and joined a company. It's been up and down, but all in all I believe I made the right choice for me.
I know programmers who have consulted for years and do not have plans to do anything else. You won't know for yourself, until you've had some experience. All the best to you.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic