• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What is the difference between job titles?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello.
I am a SCJP, searching for a job. Without other IT experience, what kind of job title should I look for? There seem to be many job titles related to Java - can someone please explain what these positions are, how they are different from each other? Are they different from a plain Java programmer? If so, what skills/experience do they require in addition to basic Java programming?
Examples:
- Java Engineer
- Java Architect
- Java Developer
- Java Consultant
- Java Administrator
- Java Analyst
- QA
Thank you for any information you can offer.
Kazun (pronounce like "cousin")

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kazun,
I too am confused by the many titles seperate companies use to distinguish job duties... But I will try to give you what I think several of these titles mean...
Java Engineer: Probably a generic catch-all term for Java Software Engineer - can deal with anything from coding to design to QA... possibly a mix of all depending on the company.
Java Architect: These people usually develop the design of the system to be developed... some coding and other duties will probably be required, but a majority of the time will be spent on high-level design.
Java Developer: Probably another catch-all term... (Just like Java Engineer above.) Or could possibly be another term for Java Architect (above), as the Sun Certified Java Developer exam focuses on a mixture of programming and system design.
Java Consultant: Another catch-all term... However, this title usually means that the person is working on a contract basis with the company and not as a salaried employee.
Java Administrator: Not sure what this one means... Perhaps someone who manages Java Programmers (i.e. mid-level management), or someone who keeps the Java systems running (i.e. like a Systems Administrator) ? I am really not sure what this one is...
Java Analyst: This is another strange title... Could possibly be used to mean a Java Consultant (above) or QA (below) specifically targeted towards Java.
QA: Quality Assurance. These are the people that test all the systems and the code to make sure it works as it is supposed to... Doesn't necessarily always work with Java, usually works with all the programs the company produces...
These may not all be correct... these definitions are just from what I have gleaned from my limited experience as an "Engineer - Software" (what my company calls my position! )
Anyway, hope this helps,
-Nate

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Job titles are mostly just made up blather.
Certainly there are no standards.
Read the job description for responsibilities and supporting technology to find out what the job is about.

kazun ishii
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you people for your replies.
Nate, thank you for answering all the titles I listed.
Since I didn't want to just assume anything by my own limited
view or idea, it was definitely nice to hear detailed explanation from some actual Java professionals like you.
Thank you kindly. It helps a lot.
Kazun (pronounce like "cousin")

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic