• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How SCJP "looks" like.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does anybody saw a screenshots from SCJP application.
I don't want do see questions but the "form" that they are presented.

Is the code formated ?
Is the code syntax colored ?
Are lines numbered ?

I know that this things may look unimportant to many of You, but when code is unformated (or formated in ugly way) it takes more time to read them.
I'm also just curious how it looks.

My second question is about mock exams.
I did some mocks on javablackbelt.com (non-exam test) but they look pretty easy.
Does anybody know any other sites where I can find free mocks ?
I was searching on "saloon" but I didn't found anything more than JQ++ and Whizzlab SCJP (but they are not for free, so I'm not intrested).

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lukas Zuchowski:
Does anybody saw a screenshots from SCJP application.
I don't want do see questions but the "form" that they are presented.

Is the code formated ?
Is the code syntax colored ?
Are lines numbered ?

I know that this things may look unimportant to many of You, but when code is unformated (or formated in ugly way) it takes more time to read them.
I'm also just curious how it looks.

I don't think think screenshots of Prometric's exam software may be legally distributed. But here's how it basically works: many questions will instruct you to "click on the exhibit button" (or something similar). When you click the button, a pop-up window will appear containing the code for that question. The code is indented properly and will normally have line numbers, but there's no syntax highlighting. The exam software has a function to automatically tile the code pop-up with the main question window, so you'll usually use that to view both side by side.

You'll get the chance to do a brief tutorial to learn the exam software's features before beginning the exam, so don't worry too much about this.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Remember that the exam is delivered on a world-wide basis, and as such the engine has to work with some pretty minimal hardware. Because of that we often jam a LOT of code into 12 or so lines of code. so, it can get pretty ugly sometimes. When we do jam code together we're not trying to trick you. (Although that used to happen.) We do our best to make over-crowded code as readable as possible.

So you might see stuff like this:

Both examples of stacking a couple of lines of code into a single line...

hth,

Bert

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've been using the enthuware program which has d&d and exhibit questions that I assume similar to the exam. However, they also have questions where you actually have to type out code into textfields. I got a question wrong by entering List <String> instead of List<String> One of their representitives mentioned that this is a bug that they'll try to fix but warned that I may have similar situations on the real exam so I should always use 'preferred' syntax just in case. I had no idea that List<String> was preferred over List <String>. I'm a little worried about flunking by one or two questions and having this affect me. Can one of the ranchands, bartenders, etc., comment on this issue. Thanks a lot

Lukas Zuchowski
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I bought a JQPluse for scjp 5.

My first attempt (without reading K&B Threads Chapter) was 69%, but I've got 2 year of expirence in Java.

In JQPluse in multiple-answer questions is (almost always or always) information, about the amount of correct answers.
Is that the same on SCJP proximety software ? (In K&B Study Guide was usualy information to "choose all that aplay")

Bert Bates
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The exam used to have "fill in the blank" type of questions - it doesn't any more, so you won't have to worry about that.

As far as "choose all that apply" questions, those also do NOT exist on the real exam. We sometimes say "Choose all that apply." on our mock exams, but that's just to toughen you up

nico dotti
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
SWEET!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmmm.. they don't trick anymore. Whizlab tricks and alot. And i'm getting more paranoid every minute. I can spend 2-3 minutes just to look for tricks and gimmicks from simple question.

I've gone to same trick two times:

That's ugly, very ugly

Lukas Zuchowski
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a lot Bert.

So assuming on SCJP are:
- single answer questions
- mulit-answer question (with amount of correct answers)
- ??

"Fill all the blank" are those "puzzel" questions or a questions where you have to "type in" something ?

Kelvin Chenhao Lim
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lukas Zuchowski:
"Fill all the blank" are those "puzzel" questions or a questions where you have to "type in" something ?

These will all be drag-and-drop questions. The system will present you with a question containing some blanks (e.g. a program with missing expressions), along with a list of options (e.g. code fragments). You will then have to use your mouse to drag an option into the blanks. Depending on the question, you may be able to use each option just once or multiple times, and you may or may not need to fill up all the available blanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are single choice and multiple choice type questions. They tell the number of correct answers(choose 2 or choose 3). They tell to click the exhibit button to display the code for drag and drop. When I took the test, I didnt like one thing with these answers that if you go back to these answers after answering other questions, the marked answer is undone. may be this may have changed by now.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic