• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Skills Wanted by Employers

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello, In the fall I'll be moving into my senior year of a BSCS.
My question is: Exactly what Java skills are most employers looking for? Obviously a sound foundation of OOP, classes, polymorphism, inheritance, etc. But what about JavaBeans, JDBC, RMI,IDL, Servlets, JAR files, JNI, GUI's with Swing, etc. In my senior year I won't be able to master the entire language. What do you guys recommend I concentrate on?
Thanks in Advance, Ray

Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I understand that server-side Java is in more demand, but I may be prejudiced...(Servlets, JSP, EJB, RMI, JMS, XML...)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ray:
If you are still in college. Take any REAL-WORLD related computer science classes they have. What Tony said seems to be true.
But before you graduate you have some work to do:
1. Go to your career services center - the resume should be written up - and proofed. These people can help. Also, you need to be doing on-campus interviews. It's a lot easier to get a job via on-campus interviewing than in hitting up the real world.
Get these people to help with a cover letter.
A good resume format can be found at: members.aol.com/jpcoxey
NOTE: The interview season starts the day you begin classes in September. You should be visiting with career services NOW!!!
I DO HOPE YOU HAVE AN INTERNSHIP LINED UP FOR THIS SUMMER!!! IF NOT - THEN GET YOUR SCJP2!!!

2. Get an internship / Get some project experience. Talk with your professors and see if they have some Java projects in the works.
3. I know you are busy with college studies - but if you can - grab the SCJP2 exam. Would be nice to have that on a resume when you do on-campus interviews.
4. Start going on interviews --- NOW!!! Get your interview skills up to speed.
5. If you can grab any database classes/projects at school then DO IT!!!
6. 90% of your classmates are going to piss and fart around ... and then complain they can't find a job. Put yourself in the 10% who get off their dead rear-end and get things done.
That's my advice.
BTW/ Market seems to be picking up the past week. Been getting more and more phone calls and phone interviews.
John Coxey
(jpcoxey@aol.com)

[This message has been edited by John Coxey (edited May 02, 2001).]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic