• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

new to java - help!!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers,
This is my first post.

I have a fair OOPS bkground & attended an introductory java course. Also I'm in the final stages of going thru the SCJP 1.4 prep guide, my friend gave (kind of comfortble, didn't reached the threads yet). I got some questions

1. Does an SCJP 1.4 certification at this point( with versions 5 & 6 out there) looks good from an employment perspective or will it be a waste of time & money?
2. I don't have any experiance in java, other than the programs i did during the course.. So how difficult it would be, on a scale of 1 to 10 for a programmer like me to go for SCJP 5 or 6?

Please help
Thanks in advance

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Joseph,
You have some idea about objects. However,for better understanding of Objects in Java, use the "head first Java" book.
You go through SCJP 1.4. But, my advice is this is not the fair time to take SCJP 1.4 exam. For more reasons, Click Here !
You better take SCJP 6 exam, that is my advice, as it is supported now and SCJP 1.4 and 1.5 are at the end of life.

There is not any scale of difficulty, if you have interest. I Hope you have interest.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Joseph,

I am one of the moderators of the JavaRanch forums. Here on JavaRanch, we have a naming policy. We want the users of JavaRanch to use a real-sounding name as their display name.

Unfortunately, your name "Joseph" does not comply to the naming policy. Your display name should consist of a real-sounding first name, space, and a second name. Not only a first name, no obviously fake nickname, no initials only for the second name.

Please read the naming policy carefully and change your display name. You can change your name by editing your profile.

Please note that we are taking the naming policy seriously. If you do not change your display name, your account on JavaRanch might be locked.

Have fun on JavaRanch,
Jesper Young - Bartender

Resh Joseph
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Pradeep for your thoughts.

I love a good mentalist. And so does this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards