• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Boston.com article: Career success is not always up the ladder

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A good Boston.com article on how career paths aren't always linear. I'm a big subscriber to this point of view, and currently am taking a very non-linear route in my career.
Career success is not always up the ladder

--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Hurtig said she was earning $250,000 a year as a vice president when she left Ceridian. As executive director of The Samaritans of Boston, the suicide prevention organization, her salary is $90,000."
Oh, yeah, this path is for everyone, right. Mark, I agree with you, it is very good to step away and do something else, it gives you different perspective. But not everyone can afford it, not people who live paycheck-to-paycheck trying to fulfill their American Dreams.
You can counter that this is how we will eventually select leaders from "worker bees", but this is not a "general discussion" topic, I presume
Shura

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Shura Balaganov:
Oh, yeah, this path is for everyone, right. Mark, I agree with you, it is very good to step away and do something else, it gives you different perspective. But not everyone can afford it, not people who live paycheck-to-paycheck trying to fulfill their American Dreams.

Come on, you know better then this. Where did I say this for for everyone? Where did I say people should accept lower paying jobs?
I never said you should look for lower paying jobs. For some people, yes, less pay but more rewarding is better, but not for everyone, or even for most people.
I very clearly said "non-linear" not "economically non-monotonic."
Personally, I thought the more relevant points were:

Article:
As a result, some employees will ask to step back to a more "hands on" position....For example, if you miss the technical work or find out that spending your day managing people is not your forte, say that to management. Then move on to explaining what you are good at and would like to do.
An often-seen lateral move is that of a small company middle- or upper-level manager moving to a lower-level position at a larger company.

--Mark

I got this tall by not having enough crisco in my diet as a kid. This ad looks like it had plenty of shortening:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic