• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

US offers $10bn in aid

sanitation engineer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
"The US offers $10bn in aid to help Israel out of the worst economic crisis since the country was created."
Headline on BBC News today.
I'm just wondering... what about our economic crisis???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I look at it this way: 10 billion is not big deal to US economy (GDP ~10 trillion). If Israeli economy really goes bad, then the consequency costs much more than 10 billion, perhaps?

Carlisia Campos
sanitation engineer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, good point. But how do you go about deciding for which country a 10biUSD is going to make a difference? If we look around, there are plenty of countries with a bad economic crisis.
Wait, don't tell me. I thin I know the answer.
And unfortunately, the way this government approaches policy making, I don't expect the US to have a long lasting recovery so soon. Maybe not in the next decade.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Carlisia, what's your point?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
10 billion in loans? What's the source?
Why doesn't Israel talk to the IMF(Interantional Monetary Fund)...... ripp off

John Lee
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Carlisia Campos:
"The US offers $10bn in aid to help Israel out of the worst economic crisis since the country was created."

$10bn in aid, so I guess, most likely, it is in the form of goods or even weapon. It could also be donation, I heard donation to Israel is tax exampt. But of course, I have never done that before.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, this might be boarderline Meaningless Drivel, but as long as the discussion satys on economics, seems like a valid Job Discussion topic to me.

Originally posted by Vitor Belfort:
Why doesn't Israel talk to the IMF(Interantional Monetary Fund)...... ripp off

I guess it didn't talk to the US for a few reasons...
1) The IMF usually makes loans as a last restor, i.e. to prevent currency collapses. Israel is no where close to that.
2) The IMF loans usually come with lots of strings attached. I doubt the US loans had as many restrictions.

Originally posted by Carlisia Campos:
Ok, good point. But how do you go about deciding for which country a 10biUSD is going to make a difference? If we look around, there are plenty of countries with a bad economic crisis.

Well, there are a number of factors which go into this, not all of which are economic. Economically speaking, if there is economic turmoil is a "keystone" country, it could destabalize all the currency in a region. In other words, the trouble may spread. They basically to look at the depth and scope of the impact is the economy continues to go south. There is also self interest, Israel does a lot of trade with the US, and so if they have torubles, it may have some influence on the US economy.
There may be geo-political issues as well... weak economies may hurt military positions of certain countries and can have political implications in a region. (I state this in generic terms, because I don't want to get into a discussion on US foreign policy in this forum.)
--Mark

Bring out your dead! Or a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic