• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Rationale of java.nio.Buffer api?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Recently I asked a similar question on http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=681917&messageID=3974007#3974007, but got no useful answer.

Why does java.nio.Buffer have this (silly) flip() method. To me it seems to be an artefact of the underlying implementation. As a user of a Buffer I just want to read and write, possibly after checking how much data or space is available. Why do I have to call flip() as an announcement like "Hey, wake up, get ready, are you there, everything fine, may I now start reading, after I was writing before?"

Any ideas what the benefit of flip() is?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can get examples of flip usage straight from the java API docs. For example, the following code copies data from one channel to another:

flip() isn't a mysterious method you need to call for internal reasons. The behavior of flip() is completely and accurately described in its documentation. The need for flip() comes from the different ways a buffer's position and limit values are interpretted in the two different contexts buffers are typically used: as places to insert data and as sources from which data is read.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
java.nio.XxxBuffers exist because the semantics of Java arrays are broken. For example, given two arrays {1,2,3} {4,5,6}, you cannot "append" them without copying data. This is a violation of encapsulation (which is implied by the array semantics).

For a XxxBuffer, you create one that is backed by {1,2,3}, another that is backed by {4,5,6}, then you call put*, which returns a new "view" of that data - no copying has occurred.

Unfortunately, the XxxBuffers, while with good intentions, and a certain improvement, are still incredibly suboptimal. I'll provide an example of why at a later date (it's in development).

Harald Kirsch
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by David Weitzman:

The need for flip() comes from the different ways a buffer's position and limit values are interpretted in the two different contexts buffers are typically used: as places to insert data and as sources from which data is read.

So flip() was introduced to save two methods: instead of having getReadPosition(), getReadLimit(), getWritePosition(), getWriteLimit(), we only have to deal with position() and limit(), but the semantics of both being state dependent.

An explanation, but not very convincing.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Harald Kirsch:

So flip() was introduced to save two methods: instead of having getReadPosition(), getReadLimit(), getWritePosition(), getWriteLimit(), we only have to deal with position() and limit(), but the semantics of both being state dependent.

An explanation, but not very convincing.

Nobody said Sun engineers were perfect.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Harald Kirsch:
Recently

Why does java.nio.Buffer have this (silly) flip() method.

You mean flippant?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic