• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Snow sees stronger growth this year

sanitation engineer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Has anyone seen any change yet? I know Mark was getting more cold calls latetly. Monster in my area (Boston) is still showing only a few positions a day, but I'm starting to see openings that don't require 5+ years of experience.
=======================================

Snow sees stronger growth this year

Treasury Secretary also tells business leaders that Bush plan will boost job growth in '03.
June 17, 2003: 12:30 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The nation's gross domestic product will grow at a faster rate by year's end, when the Bush administration's tax cut plan will have led to more robust job creation, Treasury Secretary John Snow said Tuesday.
Snow, in prepared comments for Money magazine's Money Summit in New York, said he sees annual gross domestic product growth near 3.5 percent by the latter part of 2003. "I think the real pick-up is going to happen in the second half of this year," he said.
The Treasury Secretary, touting the tax cut plan that Bush signed into law last month, said the cuts will have an impact on job creation as early as this year.
"Bottom line is: I am confident we're going to see those 'Help Wanted' signs go up again in greater and greater numbers," Snow said.
Turning to global growth, Snow urged other industrialized nations to take "bold" actions, "including fundamental structural reforms where necessary," to spur growth and contribute to overall prosperity.
Snow appeared with CNN anchor Lou Dobbs at a session of the summit. The summit's sponsor, Money magazine, is a venture partner of CNN/Money.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am in the Denver area and things seem to be getting better here. When my last company
shut down in April five java developers were
let go and only two are still looking but
have decent leads.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Recently got hired and also now getting at least two calls/emails each day...and that's in NYC...salaries not as high as before, but I think that will also come in a little more time.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congrats John.
--Mark
P.S. I hope you're telling those recruiters/hiring managers to post to JavaRanch. :-)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Herschberg:
Congrats John.
--Mark
P.S. I hope you're telling those recruiters/hiring managers to post to JavaRanch. :-)

I got a call last week for a COBOL position...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I did not see any improvement in Texas.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There was a spike upwards here in Florida about a month or 2 back, then in the last 2 weeks it dove for the bottom. Even the usual noise position adverts are disappearing.

I have been getting a few leads from the D.C> area lately. However it gets cold up there, the place is infested with politicians, and I don't look good in a suit, dark glasses and earpiece.
And annoy those who do.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm getting a number of cold calls here in London lately, and have been to three interviews in the last 3 weeks. I actually landed two consulting gigs earlier this year which fell through due to bad luck before the start date. I've been making it onto the list of finalists most every time, which is encouraging.
Things seem to be picking up in this neck of the woods, I think. It's been 30 months since the recession hit full-bore, so it's about time it did. I predict a sharp recovery in the software engineering field when it does turn....

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Things have picked up for me in the last 2-3 weeks, now that I'm actively looking. I heard the same thing from recruiters I've been talking to, that in the last few weeks the job market has come around a bit.
--Mark
[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: Mark Herschberg ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One of the items on Snow's job description is a cheerleader. The NASDAQ is people putting their money where their mouth is and the NASDAQ is promising.

Blueberry pie is best when it is firm and you can hold in your hand. Smell it. And smell this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic