• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

master degree in math helps?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, I have BS degree in Computer Science and am thinking about getting master degree in math. Do you think it will help me in future job market?

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sure, if you want to be a high school teacher or volunteer for the Peace Corps.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I see quite a few jobs thats require a high level knowledge of maths. So yes it will help with some specific jobs, not to relevent to all jobs though, although I'm sure everyone recognises good maths is important to SE etc

Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In IT, an advanced degree in mathemmatics presents no material advantages I have seen or can think of. An advanced degree itself is an a credible accomplishment, and I am sure several employers would favor candidates who have earned one. But, being an English major myself, I see far more people I consider successful with degrees in the liberal arts, followed by degrees in Electrical Engineering, than anything else.
And personally, if you're taking an EE into Information Technology, I'd hope it was because you reall wanted to study it. As a base of vocational skills, I don't see what advantages earnig an EE really brings you, other than a rigorous education.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think courses you will take for MS will decide whether MS in Maths will be useful in your career.Some companies definitely require knowledge in Math(means computational maths).For example companies working in CAD/CAM/GIS require engineers with knowledge of Computational Geometry,Linear Algebra.These subjects are generally not taught at BE(BS) level but can be taken at MS level.Also these subjects are not taught for online courses or some private institute(or community college).Similar is the case for companies developing some financial softwares etc.One company I know was searching for 2 programmers with knowledge of Cryptography and Security for 6 months and finally gave up the contract to some other company.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you need to look at the specifics. Do you know companies or see postings wich require or recommend such a degree? Two years is a big investment, and my guess is there are probably ore productive ways to put hat time to use.
Capablanca correctly points out that some jobs do require advanced math skills, but the particular skill vary greatly. Chances are, if you can find a way to just take the specific courses it will be a more efficent use of your time and money.
Kevin raises a common, but unverified point. There is no evidence whatsoever that a company would ever turn someone down for a professional position because of a masters degree.
--Mark

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You might be better off getting a degree in statistics, operations research, or applied math (generally applied to engineering). These are more applicable to the computer field, and you can get a job with them apart from the computer field, which may be important if things don't improve. Mathematics study is generally pretty theoretical.
If you are going to study mathematics, discrete mathematics, such as combinatorics, and logic are areas that are useful for programming. Differential equations are usful for engineering applications.
There are software jobs where mathematics is important, such as statistical applications, graphics, and some engineering and scientific applications. The logic in mathematics is also helpful for programming skills. However, if you are considering getting a masters degree, you are probably already fairly strong in mathematics.

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"awk",
Please read the rules for display names here.
Your display name is not valid. We require your display name to be two words: your first name, a space, then your last name. Fictitious names are not allowed.
Please edit your profile so that your display name is valid. Accounts with invalid display names get deleted, often without warning.
thanks,
Dave.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic