• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What should i expect in a phone screening?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I lucked up on one through a friend of a friend that is the hiring manager. In any case I got my foot in the door and have a phone screening coming up. Its QA work but at least its IT and not some other field. In any case its been a few years since I've had an interview, let alone a phone screening, what should I expect?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It could be anything. Some companie suse it for a technical test. Other's a general first round interview. I usually use it as a 10 minute screen to gauge the communication and interpersonal skills of the candidate. With non-local candidates, I've used it as a first round interview.

--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In my company we had a real problem with people showing up for interviews that didn't have the skills they professed on paper. This was a big waste of time so we started to phone screenings to ensure the interviewee (sp?) had at least some of the skills they claimed before brining them in for a real interview. Basically anything claimed on the resume was fair game.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have had a phone interviews with some big companies.
Well the main objective of phone interview to is to invited for the on site interview , i/e face to face . Companies do phone interviews mainly for communications skills. Usually you can expect a call from HR , in my case I was asked questions about mu back ground , my interests and what I am looking for and about the projects I have worked on. YOu can expect some technical questions manily on your concepts.
Regards
Amit

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you're lucky, you'll get elimination questions -- questions that would tell the hiring manager if you can't do the job. When I phone-screen, I also use beahvior-description questions ("tell me about a time when...") to see what a person has completed.

Matt Kidd
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks everyone. As far as I could tell the phone screen went great but I didn't get the call in for the face to face as coincidently an internal candidate was finishing the interviewing process that same day.

I want my playground back. Here, I'll give you this tiny ad for it:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic