• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Are there any methodologies for converting to RDBMS ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi friends,
I heard there are some standard methodologies available to convert the relationships between objects which we could find out from the solution we have currently. Can someone tell what they are?
In other words, I can chart the relationships of objects in my solution. For example, there is an 'Account' object which can have multiple contactPerson, multiple opportunities, multiple addresses.
Simillarly there are other objects and relationships. The web application system for which I need this help is of moderate complexity and I would like to know if there is any easy and standard way available to define the RDBMS.
What I try to ask is how to define the tables in our databases quickly , shortly, efficiently (Data integrity/consistancy etc)?
Any tutorials,links, help available ?
Thank you so much.
regds
maha anna
[This message has been edited by maha anna (edited January 26, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Most of the applications do have tools which define the structure of the table its elements and the database structure also. if you are trying to define a new application database which is not existing then you have to identify the need fields group them into tables do the normalization. try for some data design tools
Vishwanath

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Data analysts and database architects are paid a lot of money because there are no simple rules to follow. There are complex rules that involve data normalization but designing a database is an art and no simple do (1) followed by (2), (3), and (4) will lead to a good design.

maha anna
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Kasi, Thomas.
I understand. For my previous application I did the database design where I took some considerable time to make the final one. For the current application which has more functionalities than the previous one, thought of asking some prefessional help if available.
I understand the art comes through experience. May be I search the internet/library/book stores for database design.
Meanwhile if anyone could help with some online links/tutorials , it will be of great help!
regds
maha anna
[This message has been edited by maha anna (edited January 27, 2001).]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic