• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

CV

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am a J2EE developer.I have 1.6 yrs Exp.
I want to update my CV .Can anyone tell me format of CV.
Like regarding the project profile how much shd i mention (aprox in how many lines?)
And regarding the technologies used how shd i list each e.g.
Database -
IDE -
J2EE Technologies -
Application Server -
??? What more?
Shd I also 3rd party tools used in my project like counter.jar/itex.jar ? if yes ,under which section ?
Also shd I write previous exp as a trainee?(6 months)
Regarding personal info???

Devaki Nihar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just explain me in short

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Devaki,
The following is extracted from one of Mark Herschberg's posts. The links mentioned will show you how to write a resume which is preferred by the recruiters.

I don't have time to do a lot of searching for good resumes (and obviously can't post candidates resumes without their permission) but here's a quick example from online; here's another. I'm not saying these are the pinnacle of resumes, I don't even like the formatting, but the level of detail per job is appropriate. You might be able to double the level of detail per job (read: double the text), if you held it a long time, or did a number of tasks, but I wouldn't go much beyond that.

To learn more about what to include in your resume and what to not read read the first few posts in this thread.

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This depends on what culture the resume/CV is used for. The links provided in the above post is for the US and other regions may be very similar. Some cultures find it more acceptable to have many pages of detailed project descriptions.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As Marc mentioned it depends upon region. When I was in India CV was common. I'm not sure if the trend is changed now. In US resumes are preferred. In my opinion resume should be of max 2 pages. Just highlight your objectives, education, skills and accomplishments in each project. It won't impress recruiter much if you mention something like "designed 10 web pages, wrote 10 SQL procedures, wrote 10 java classes". But it will certainly impress the recruiter if you mention accomplishments like "Optimized queries to improve performace by 25%", "Designed business components of web application" etc.
[ May 20, 2005: Message edited by: Dilip kumar ]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic