• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

help (getting started)

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
this would be my first post here.
please let me know about this first step simple program in java that can interact with a Database and send sql commands to retrieve a record or store a record.
i guess this would be the HelloWorld program for java programming with databases. right ?
please send me links to web sites, forums or any other information.
but first which database should i start with. i have a windows95 computer with access Microsoft Access. or do i need to have a RDBMS. if you can let me know about this as well.
i hope these questions are not too preliminary for this forum.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you search this forum for "Accesing MS access" or something like that, you will get some hits. It has been discussed several times.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The tutorial provided at sun site, gives instructions about JDBC programming using Access in windows environment.
Using RDBMS in JDBC is generally recommended, but it is not required. However you can download MySQL freely from the internet.
/

Originally posted by mark stone:
this would be my first post here.
please let me know about this first step simple program in java that can interact with a Database and send sql commands to retrieve a record or store a record.
i guess this would be the HelloWorld program for java programming with databases. right ?
please send me links to web sites, forums or any other information.
but first which database should i start with. i have a windows95 computer with access Microsoft Access. or do i need to have a RDBMS. if you can let me know about this as well.
i hope these questions are not too preliminary for this forum.

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Suse
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
here is a "hello world" type JDBC program. It is specifically designed to use the jdbc odbc bridge(included in the jdk) and Microsoft Access 97. The program is self explanatory, see if it works for you. If you can compile and run the "hello world" program, you should be able to run this program. Check to see if you are running a compatible Microsoft Access Driver(see program to find out how).

Jamie
[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Jamie Robertson ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic