• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Rails easy to learn

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am newbie in JAVA web development, very experienced in Legacy.I have a good knowledge of Java application side.I know JSP,HTML.... Is this book worth trying at this stage?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was amazed at how fast an app can be put together with Rails. Here is a link that might help. Rolling with Rails is a great tutorial.
http://www.rubyonrails.com/docs

Eric

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Heres a nice Ruby (Not Ruby on Rails) to get you started on the fundamentals of Ruby. It helps to get to know the syntax and the way the language works later on when trying to figure out why things aren't working they way you planned, etc.

Programming Ruby: A pragmatic programmer's guide (first edition)

Eric Martinez
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The book Ruby for Rails is also a very good for beginning RoR. I've been reading it and it has really helped me understand some of the details of how Rails works and how to take advantage of Ruby for use in web app development.

Eric Gero
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ruby on Rails Up and Running is another decent book. It's only 150 some pages so it doesn't go into great detail. But, it does a decent job of introducing Ruby on Rails.

Eric

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For me,
First time to learn RubyonRails

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/tutorial/index.html

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you want to learn Rails, I suggest not using those bundled installers, such as Instant rails. Install the pieces for yourself -- you'll know better what's going on under the hood. The downside, of course, is that if it messes up your system, it's harder to back out.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Ju:
If you want to learn Rails, I suggest not using those bundled installers, such as Instant rails. Install the pieces for yourself -- you'll know better what's going on under the hood. The downside, of course, is that if it messes up your system, it's harder to back out.

Doesn't that kind of contradict what Rails is about and it's philosophy? Is that different than saying:

"If you really want to learn rails don't use any of the scaffolding or code generation. Write it all by hand. That way you really know what's going on under the hood"

And if you say that, then there really is no argument to use Rails.

Mark Ju
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, I'm not saying don't use scaffolding. But it's true you'll have a firmer grip on things if you don't. You'll have to decide for yourself where to draw the line between convenience and control.

For me, the line is drawn at my environment setup: I like Rails, my db, my server, etc not be too tightly coupled. Why? Because when I deploy, upgrade, downgrade, optimize, or otherwise tinker with one piece, I can do so without affecting the other parts.

On the other hand, one major selling point of Rails is its tightly coupled MVC stack. It's proven, actively maintained, and a joy to work with. I wouldn't want to switch out ActiveRecord with my own ORM (though I think others have done that).

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Mark Ju:
It's proven...

That's laughable. Enlighten me. How is Rails "proven". I'm not saying it doesn't work. I just want to know what justifies a "proven" framework. Especially one as relatively new as Rails.

Mark Ju
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Just to be clear, my comment was in response to comparing Rails (as a tightly coupled MVC framework) to Instant Rails/Locomotive (as a tightly coupled Rails dev environment).

I don't know any commercial apps in production entirely based on Instant Rails/Locomotive. That's all I was trying to get at.

Whether or not Rails is proven compared to other languages or frameworks, I'm not sure, but it does the job for my projects and so far, I'm enjoying it.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic