• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Seeking Career Advice

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys !
I am into Business Application development using Java/J2EE technology for last 5 years with a Mid Sized CMM Level 5 (services) company. My projects are mostly into Insurance. I don't think I have good knowledge of Insurance domain but in general I am confortable with Business users.

Currently I am in looking for job change and got good offers too. One of the offer is from Verizon Data Services (Chennai) but I am not sure about working in a Telecom company after 5 years in Business Application development. Will my educational profile (non-BE/BTech) be a problem in Telecom Domain in future.

I am not an expert in J2EE technology but I expect that while working in Verizon I will get very good technical knowledge in Java/J2EE (as compared to othr services company).

Will it be good career move to join Verizon in place of any other services company like Satyam/Mphasis/Kanbay etc.. Will the Telecom domain experience be a constraint while looking for next job after 1 or 2 years of work in Verizon.

I don't know much about the work culture, technical depth & kind of projects of Verizon Data Services (Chennai).

Looking forward for your valuable advice.

Thank You,
Hssguy1

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Verizon is good at utilizing your skills. You can learn a lot from them.

In the end everything boils down to where is your passion. If you have passion for technology and select a technology profile but if you have passion for business domain then go in that direction. There is room and opportunities for technology and domain always and so first find what is your passion.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic