• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Background Check Investigation

Greenhorn
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
During background check whether the cause for leaving / resigning is also investigated ?
If somebody has been fired from one of the previous employer and the current employer comes to know
about this thing during background check ,whether the person can be laid off on this very issue that he has
been fired from one of the employer. I am talking about India.Also if somebody applies for visa whether the same thing can affect visa processing.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think that should cause any problem.Employer might ask some explanation from you regarding that.Terminating the current job because previous employer fired you seems absurd.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Though some of the companies which crib about ethichs might take it otherwise,though in india equal opportunities Law does
not allow such kind of thing and it is somewhat illegal to fire somebody on this behalf that he has been fired in past.
Still can't say about investment bank and financial institutions.

Ram

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I do not thing that reasons for leaving are investigated.IMO What is investigated is your duration and designation and nature of work at that company.

I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.

Kuldeep Dhakar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for replies,K J Reddy your valuable comments are also invited,without which which this thread would be incomplete.
I want to make my question more clear that if somebody is fired from an organization due to misrepresentation of salary /experience whether he can be fired by any other organisation on the basis of this,once they come to know about this thing after background check though candidate might be showing everything honestly this time.
Other ranchers valuable comments are also invited.

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kuldeep Dhakar:
Thanks for replies,K J Reddy your valuable comments are also invited,without which which this thread would be incomplete.
I want to make my question more clear that if somebody is fired from an organization due to misrepresentation of salary /experience whether he can be fired by any other organisation on the basis of this,once they come to know about this thing after background check though candidate might be showing everything honestly this time.
Other ranchers valuable comments are also invited.

I know a old colleague of of mine who produced fake experience certificate because his current employer was not releiving him. The new compnay where he joined did background check and he was fired. The company which fired him was IBM. Accneture, Sap Labs, Fidelity, IBM, GE healtcare do background checks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by ab parashar:
I do not thing that reasons for leaving are investigated.IMO What is investigated is your duration and designation and nature of work at that company.

I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.

What is funny about firing at Accenture? IMHO, they do a real thorough background check through 3rd party and fire people.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Experience enquiry is ok.
But How will those companies get salary information?

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by mukesh patil:

They may ask to bring salary certificate from the previous company.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by mukesh patil:

They may ask you PAN no, Form 16 or related forms.

mukesh patil
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
But if you are not submitting any such document then is there any other way by which they can find out your salary?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Pradip Bhat:

Accneture, Sap Labs, Fidelity, IBM, GE healtcare do background checks.

can u tell me how stringent is their background checks. Do they go down to all the companes where a person has worked ? Does CSC and Hewitt also does similar checks?
[ January 24, 2006: Message edited by: shalu sharma ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Shalu Sharam..

Why are you worried about background checks..?Did you fudge any information?

Kj Reddy
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by shalu sharma:

can u tell me how stringent is their background checks. Do they go down to all the companes where a person has worked ? Does CSC and Hewitt also does similar checks?

[ January 24, 2006: Message edited by: shalu sharma ]

I didnt understand how it makes difference. But to answer your query one of company I worked before, they went to my college, school, home town and to all my previous companies to enquire about me.

ab parashar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by KJ Reddy:

I didnt understand how it makes difference. But to answer your query one of company I worked before, they went to my college, school, home town and to all my previous companies to enquire about me.

that sounds like Fidelity....

Ravi Sekar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One more question do the companies cross check and verify whether you have actually worked on the projects that you have mentioned in your resume...?

shalu sharma
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Su Ming:
One more question do the companies cross check and verify whether you have actually worked on the projects that you have mentioned in your resume...?

Now Su you too seems to be worried ..

Kuldeep Dhakar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think thread is being hijacked ,I would like to repeat my query that if somebody is fired due to misrepresentation
of experience/sal/medical ,LTA bills ,can he be fired again if company comes to know about it during
background check investigation though now he is not misrepresenting any facts.
Regarding the query from Su ,I don't think any company gives details about the kind of the project person has worked
and the skillset and all the internal thing ,at the most they can get your joining date,relieving date and last salary
drawn so one should not worried about the project details.
This thread I started to help the people and know better about the process ,this has nothing to do what should one do
or do not ,it entirely depeneds on individual conscience ,so request you to focus on thread only .
[ January 25, 2006: Message edited by: Kuldeep Dhakar ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

This thread I started to help the people and know better about the process

Even if this thread is a little old, it is very helpful.

Unless you have a contract or belong to a union that prevents firing, you can be fired for any reason that the company wants to fire you (except if they break antidiscrimination laws, such as sexual harassment.)

If the company finds out new information about your past, they can fire you for that. For example, if they found you that you were a criminal, but they did not know it until now.

However, it is very unlikely that the new company could find out about your misstatements on your application to the previous company. Most companies only give start and stop dates, and job title. If they give more information, sometimes they get sued by the previous employee for giving false information, so many companies do not give extra information.

Expect your company to inquire about very short duration jobs, and about long gaps in your job history. Companies know that those two things often indicate problems.

Even if your new company did find out, they would have to consider your past misstatement as serious enough to fire your now, which they probably would not do. If you are a good employee, they do not want to lose you. Also, most companies will give you a chance to explain, so you should have an honest explanation ready that makes you look as good as possible. Mistakes and misunderstandings are common, and that could have been what happened at your old company.

So most pre-employment background checkss verify identity, education, your last 3 jobs, and that you do not have a criminal record. From your post, you look good in all of these aspects. Just be ready to explain your old misstatement in the unlikely event that it comes up.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kuldeep Dhakar:
This thread I started to help the people and know better about the process ,this has nothing to do what should one do or do not ,it entirely depeneds on individual conscience ,so request you to focus on thread only.

Almost all of my carrer has been in construction in boom times. It was always believed, and several instances of having had access in an office proved the belief to be factual, that anyone having an injury would be fired under false pretext to avoid false claims by leeches.

I have developed a total disclaiming of any basis for judgement any company may make, whether factual and real or mertoriously void specualation and conjecture. That means I have to listen to user is a twit type of verbalistics, but my greatest sorrow is for those honest persons, believing the total authority - for which their service is promised a wristwatch for a watchful thirty years of service.

Have you ever seen one of these wristwatches up close ?

No concious person would belive everything they were told after that. It is not that I am adivising others to take this risky and perilous postion, I am only advising everyone to try to develop their own business. That gives one the skills to see why companies cannot do everything.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
quite an old post, but still very useful.. didn't they could check such things when if i apply..

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Friends,

I am still a little confused about this. We are told that according to the company's policies, compensation / salary is Private and Confidential and not to be disclosed to others. Still when background check agencies contact the HR department of company one has left and ask for salary details, is not the HR department violating the company policies in divulging that information ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Usually the following are happens:
1. Your last 2 jobs may be verified. So, keep these in order.
2. Smaller companies/startups - do not spend time and money in doing extensive background checks. Bigger companies especially like Fidelity/Accenture are known to do a lot of background checks.
3. Many of these background checks are bogus - as these are done by third-parties. Often these third-parties are simply unable to collect any information.

ha lo
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks James.

Even if we consider the extensive background checks done by Fidelity / Accenture, things like educational qualifications, duration / designation in previous companies, etc are not confidential information and can be shared and verified.

But if Fidelity / Accenture asks the HR department of another company (say ABC) to share the salary details of an employee, is the HR department of ABC right in sharing that information which is marked private and confidential ?

James Ward
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

is the HR department of ABC right in sharing that information which is marked private and confidential

I think it is not right for a company to share this information with anyone. And as far as i can tell, they do not share this. Therefore, the onus is on the candidate to provide proof of his previous salary by way of Salary Slip/Appointment Letter/Service Certificate etc. Usually the companies do ask for previous salary proof (And these days you get salary slips in your email instead of a hard-copy, making the things even more virtual)!

ha lo
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

ab parashar wrote:I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.

I guess some companies do reveal the salary .. Wonder how those 2 guys got fired at Accenture
I'm sorry if I am getting too legal in this
but Accenture must have told these guys the reason for firing
and these guys could probably question their previous company for disclosing confidential information (though they had done mischief on their part too)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

ha lo wrote:

ab parashar wrote:I had heard of 2 guys being fired at Accenture (yes at Accenture .. funny..though) who had lied about salary.

I guess some companies do reveal the salary .. Wonder how those 2 guys got fired at Accenture
and these guys could probably question their previous company for disclosing confidential information (though they had done mischief on their part too)

I have been working in a company from the last 5 years. Before joining into the present company, I worked for 2 yrs in a small company which is in a small city. When I was trying for a new job, no company has called for an interview. So that I have changed my experience as 2 yrs in another city and uploaded into websites. Then I started getting calls and joined in the present company 5 yrs back by producing fake certificates showing the experience in hyd. Now I am planning to change my present company and wanted to reveal my misstatements to future company, so that there will not be any problem.... Is that my approach is correct?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not sure if this deserves a sepatate thread, but "blacklisting" for "bad presentation" skills sounds crazy:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703389004575033583145567138.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsThird

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kumar Gadepalli wrote:

ha lo wrote:

I have been working in a company from the last 5 years. Before joining into the present company, I worked for 2 yrs in a small company which is in a small city. When I was trying for a new job, no company has called for an interview. So that I have changed my experience as 2 yrs in another city and uploaded into websites. Then I started getting calls and joined in the present company 5 yrs back by producing fake certificates showing the experience in hyd. Now I am planning to change my present company and wanted to reveal my misstatements to future company, so that there will not be any problem.... Is that my approach is correct?

Check out the post mentioned :BAckground Verification
I had discussed about how companies take BGC seriously... It would be better for you to correct the same as if caught you would be in trouble

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I am going to join [elided] in a couple of months. Do you guys have any idea about how [elided] conducts background verification?

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Indra,
Welcome to Javaranch!

Discussions on specific companies are not allowed in Javaranch. Read this for more information.

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kumar Gadepalli wrote:

Ok. Let me get this straight.
You got a job by faking some certificates? And you are announcing this to the world? On the internet?
One word. Wow !

indra chatterjee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I did not fake any certificate. Do not be oversmart buddy. I just want to know the process because my very first company was small which was in 2005 and does not work in the technology now i am working in. So i needed some information.

Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Firstly, I don't think Maneesh replied to your post. If you see his post he has replied to Kumar Gadepalli.

Also,

indra chatterjee wrote:Do not be oversmart buddy.

Please use proper language while posting here. I hope you realize that everyone is a volunteer here.

Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Indra my friend,
Please read http://faq.javaranch.com/java/BeNice

indra chatterjee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry for the misunderstanding. i apologise. But can anyone help with my question?

Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To confess, I find this whole discussion about background check meaningless. Why should one bother what all things are checked as long as there is no falsification involved?
Are you concerned about the time taken for background verification (meaning delay in getting the appointment letter) or something? In such scenarios, it would be a good idea to talk to the HR and gain more information.

Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:To confess, I find this whole discussion about background check meaningless. Why should one bother what all things are checked as long as there is no falsification involved?

+1

indra chatterjee
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am a bit concerned about the profile to be honest. If at the time of verification they find out that my first company does not work in the technology now I am working in and if I show that I have worked in that technology in that company what will happen since 5 years ago it used to work in that technology.

Pushkar Choudhary
Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

indra chatterjee wrote:If at the time of verification they find out that my first company does not work in the technology now I am working in and if I show that I have worked in that technology in that company what will happen since 5 years ago it used to work in that technology.

If that company was really into the technology earlier, you can tell it clearly to the HR in your interview.

Screaming fools! It's nothing more than a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic