• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

how to find the connection object is commitable

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi all,

i done connection.setAutoCommit(false) and done some operation in my connection like select some columns and update some table after all this operations i like to know weather my connection object is commitable, ie i want to know weather i need to execute connection.commit() or connection.rollback()

thanks

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Baiju,
Whether to commit or rollback is usually a business decision. If a call threw a SQLException, you would almost certaintly want to rollback. But that would have been handled by autocommit and a transaction. Think back to why you set autocommit to false. What problem were you trying to solve?

Baiju Varugese
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Jeanne,
Thank you. I want to do a two-phase commit for a connection, (it is already provided by JTA, reinvent the wheel). I want to write a connection manager that handles N number of connection in a transaction. i want to know all the statements in all the connection object is executed fine then i want to fire the commit on all the connection object or else i want to fire rollback. if there is any exception raised at the time of commiting i want to do the rollback on all the other connection.

thanks

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Baiju,
You could write a wrapper around the connection to track whether it should rollback. This object could run all queries on the user's behalf and therefore tell whether an exception occurred. Or provide a setRollbackOnly() method for callers to do this explicitly.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic