• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Want to know how drivers work

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for whatever information you hace passed on to me. But you can say that really I am confused about how the things happen with drivers? In type1 & type2 we say that we need to have drivers on to the client side, but in case of type3 & type4 we don't need then on the client side. Even libraries needed are to be there on the Client side that is what we say about type1 & type2.

Why all this processing takes place on the client side? How actually drivers work & why do they work that way? Can you help me out in knowing all these things? So i guess my doubt would be more clear?

One more thing that i wanted to know is that can i get the names of the drivers and URLs of the drivers for varoius dbs?

Thanks a lot for ur info about drivers.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello Vrushali,
There is no need to think of how it works internally & why certain stuff is client side as far as programming is concerned....but not to disappoint you here is some stuff from my side :

Type 1,2 & 4 are drivers which can be used for Rich Client Application independently (without any need of Web/App. Server), these drivers know how to connect to DB & fire the queries etc.....so if you want to use these drivers on client side ,a client application must know where these drivers are located
Details
Type 1 : No need to play with driver since it is available in rt.jar which comes with JDK so Java knows where it will be

Type 2: if i talk about windows, then you must specify where the DLL's are present (partly Java,Partly NATIVE)
Type 4: Portable but atleast must be in a classpath to make use of.

=========================================================================
Type 3 :
It is used in Web/App Server & internally makes use of Type 1,2 or 4

If you are using web/App server best option is use DataSource to get connection with DB Since it gives you flexibility & ease of Configuration
Hey all these things happens on the server side

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To Know some details about drivers & their history
refer: Java & CORBA Yellow color big book don't remember author /Pub. Name

I hope this helps or otherwise shoot a question back by clicking Post Reply on a page do not click on Post New Topic so that you can track a discussion

Shrinivas

Type 3 driver

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For anyone reading this, the original thread was here. This one is just different enough to warrant a new topic. In general, I agree with Shrinivas about replying.

Vrushali Gore
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Shriniwas sir for what all you told me. I always feel really very uncomfortable when I explain the drivers. When we say in Type 1 & Type 2 drivers that this processing takes place on client side, is this a way drivers works we have to say. Is there any explaination for why it takes place on client side?

In case of all 4 drivers we need to have them on to the client side. When we design any web application then in such case how we can do all these things onto the client side?

Rather our work would be difficult in that case. one good option that is availbale is only making use of datasource so that no need of anything on client side. Is it this way?

Thanks once again. But please let me know this thing.

I will refer that yellow book.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic