• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Pooled DataSource recovery

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm moving some code from a proprietary connection pool to a pooled DataSource in WebSphere 5.x. The authors of the existing pool put a lot of work into error recovery. One strategy is that when a SQL exception indicates communication errors they purge the pool and let it restart from scratch, which neatly recovers from a brief network burp.

I'm having trouble finding Sun doc on what to expect from a DataSource in such a situation. There's no API to purge the pool, so I'm hoping it has some signficant smarts built in. Any pointers to doc on this?

We'll be on UDB and I hope we'll be able to use Automatic Client Reroute. I believe that was a sufficient solution on another system in the company. It's not clear if I can use ACR with a single db instance, not in an HADR cluster. Anybody know for sure?

Thanks!

Stan James
(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ok, I'm told my old team uses ACR on databases without HADR. Whew.

Still don't know what IBM or Sun promises for DataSources reconnecting after transient network burp or a major stop & restart of the database.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic