• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Work in UK

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello friends,

I would like to know your opinion about working in the UK. I got to know from some friends that to work in the UK there is a HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Program). If you qualify for HSMP and get it then you become eligible to work in the UK. The total costs comes to around 1700 pounds (around 1.4 lac INR). If we get the HSMP from India do we stand a good chance of getting a job in UK? Has anyone tried this. I have 4 years of experience in embedded systems and currently working with a very good company. I am interested in working in UK.

I would really appreciate if you folks could share your views\more info on this.

Thanks,
Anu

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Indian experience does not count for much in western countries.
[ March 26, 2006: Message edited by: Arvind Kumar Patel ]

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can get HSMP faster if any of the companies here in UK are willing to take you. You can apply for the interview and if they are OK with your skills then you can request for a reference letter from the company. Using this reference letter you will get HSMP in 2-3 weeks. Without that its a long shot..experience in India hardly matters.

It took me nearly 2 months to get my first job here. So Good Luck!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Arvind Kumar Patel:
Indian experience does not count for much in western countries.
[ March 26, 2006: Message edited by: Arvind Kumar Patel ]

In last decade thousands of H1-Bs who went through untracable bodyshops are still working in US.Here they had Indian experience.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Living in UK is VERY expensive. You should only come to UK if you have a job in hand. Just having HSMP won't do any good.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1.7 Lakhs to process the HSMP.

Add to that the cost of living in the UK while you are looking for a job. Add to that the cost of flying to the UK (and back again in case things go tits up)

The good part about trying to get an HSMP is that it is totally legit - and you do it yourself. So you are at least certain that the money you spend is being used to process your visa.

If you have a few lakhs of cash that you can risk, go for it.

If not, don't

Anu Menon
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Folks,

I appreciate your responses. I think the best bet would be find an employer and then file an HSMP. I dont know if any one gets a call working in India. Also can anyone throw light on the nature of the contract jobs in uk. Is it easy to find a new job once ur contract ends? I am asking this, since i had got a call for contractor's role in germany a year back.

Anu

Pavan Tanay
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anu, In UK the situation is different compared to US. In US consultants run behind u to take u in. But in UK its the reverse, if you don't have a proper visa. Most of them talk to you only if you have a work-permit or eligible to work here.

The best way is you can try thru Indian Companies to come here and then switch over after 6-8 months(what ever!).

I guess there are a lot of companies in India who would hire to send employees on on-site projects in UK. It would be better to come that way, rather than with your own expenses.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear Friends,
I am in interested to work in UK. I have got 5+ years of experience, I want to come there through HSMP. I am planning to apply for HSMP in Next week.

I want to know how is the Job opportunities there in UK for Java developers ? How many months it will take to find a job ? I have 3 years of Work expeience in China, presently based in China. Will that count ? What would be the total cost to stay in UK(for example in London) for 1 month?

Your Suggestions are welcome. Your personal email id for further queries would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kumar_SK

Bo Yyempeti
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You cannot live in london.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I work with a lot of Indian programmers, all of them actually work for Indian Companies who contract them out to our organisation. They tend to actually come over here to work on site for a number of months and then go back and work off-shore. I'm not sure if this is due to visa restrictions or simply how the company works.
I get the impression though that the company they work for does not support their partners and children coming over too, this may be why they don't stay here very long.

Kumar SKG
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Bhoooooo Yyempeti:

Then which place do you suggest ? Where shall i live if i come there ?

Kumar SKG
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Is it because London expensive city ?

Kumar SKG
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Which place is suitable for java developers ? Sorry for asking too many questions.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Australia is a nice place, especially Sydney. Cost of living is not too bad. Can try for skilled migration.

Bo Yyempeti
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
London is too expensive.

Most of the IT jobs are in and around the M4/M25 belt, London, Reading, Bracknel.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Even having an HSMP does not guarantee that you will get a job in the UK. I am working in the UK for nearly four years and I am on HSMP for nearly 1 and half years now. I recently had an interview with a major IT consultancy in London. It went fine but in the end I was told that it is their policy to not to recruit people on HSMP and I was advised to call them again when I get my Indefinite leave to remain. so I did not get the job only because I am on HSMP.

Think about these issues as well

Sharma Kumar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Anu Menon:
Hello friends,

I would like to know your opinion about working in the UK. I got to know from some friends that to work in the UK there is a HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Program). If you qualify for HSMP and get it then you become eligible to work in the UK. The total costs comes to around 1700 pounds (around 1.4 lac INR). If we get the HSMP from India do we stand a good chance of getting a job in UK? Has anyone tried this. I have 4 years of experience in embedded systems and currently working with a very good company. I am interested in working in UK.

I would really appreciate if you folks could share your views\more info on this.

Thanks,
Anu

and who says it costs �1700 for HSMP application? The fees is �335, you can add around �100 max. for postage and after that Rs. 6800 for visa (that you pay to the emabassy after HSMP approval) and thats it.

=> �335 + �100 + �90 (Visa - Rs. 6800) = �515 and thats it.

No thanks. We have all the government we need. This tiny ad would like you to leave now:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic