• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which Query is faster

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

or

[ July 23, 2008: Message edited by: Chiru Raj ]

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's impossible to say in general because it depends on which DB is used, which indices are in place etc. What did your tests indicate?

Chiranjeevi Kanthraj
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am using MySql with Type as InnoDB

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Again, this is still impossible to answer. Query performance is largely driven by: the data you have in your database, the indices you have defined, the state of those indices etc.

I could make a wild guess that the second query may be slower, since this uses a subquery. But the only real way to know is to test it. You should do that.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My gut says the opposite - I would think the second is faster if you have an index on primaryColumn. The execution plans would be different for both scenarios.

First:
1) Retrieve all rows from disk (sorting by primaryColumn if no index is returned)
2) Return the first one across the network
3) Hope the db is smart enough to retrieve all the rows before discarding them (many are not)

Second:
1) Go directly to the max row via a sorted index
2) Retrieve the one row from disk
3) Return the one row across the network

As you can see, it is possible to speculate that either is faster. Paul and I bother have different gut instincts. All that matters is what is faster for you of course. Which means you'll have to try it.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm going to go back and sec and say you really need to run tests on real data (not test data). Query optimizes are magically creatures that may or may not use indexes properly. In other words, while the proper indexes should guarantee a near-optimal query path, there's no guarantee a particular DBMS system will find the path; since most query optimizes do not have the time to search all paths.

The only piece of advice I can give you is to avoid nested queries. In general, query optimizes make better use of search trees with joins rather than nested queries, although in the case of max/min, I'm not sure you can avoid the subquery other than sorting your results.

Also, some systems support a third query "SELECT TOP 1 * FROM table order by primaryColumn desc".

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic