• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Returning a Vector from a stateless session bean

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a stateless session bean. It uses a local interface to retrieve Entity Bean instances into a Vector. I then use a Java client program to access the Session Bean method that returns the Vector. When I run the client, I get an error that the Vector is not serializable. Shouldn't this work?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not the Vector itself, it's what's in the Vector. Are you trying to put LOCAL references from Entity beans into the Vector and return that? Of course that won't work... Think about it -- that's why they're local references...
In any case, you shouldn't return Entity bean instances directly from a Session bean. The best practice is to create Value Objects from the information in the Entity beans and then return those in the Vector.
Kyle

Randy Johnson
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kyle,
Thanks for the help. I guess I should have known better. (If it helps, I did get a copy of your book! - I suppose I just need to read it thoroughly).

Kyle Brown
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Argh -- actually it won't help -- my book is on WebSphere 3.5 and you're working with 5.0... my new book on that topic won't be out until next year...
Kyle

So you made a portal in time and started grabbing people. This tiny ad thinks that's rude:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic