• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Confused about Visa process

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Disclaimer: I have read all the posts in this group about Visa/Visa tranfer etc.

I am confused about the visa process because of contradictory statements I am receiving from various sources. If someone has H1B visa with one company and he/she has never travelled with that Visa which one of the following is technically correct

1) He/She can go to US with a new employer and apply for the transfer there
2) He/She can use the petition which was used by the old employer to file a fresh visa.
3) He/She can use the petition which was used by the old employer to file a transfer on that visa by new employer.
4) He/She HAS to file a fresh visa to go to US. That visa is not valid anymore.

In my case someone is saying that only option 4 is valid and you have to file a new visa.
any suggestions

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Pankaj Kumar Singh:
Disclaimer: I have read all the posts in this group about Visa/Visa tranfer etc.

I am confused about the visa process because of contradictory statements I am receiving from various sources. If someone has H1B visa with one company and he/she has never travelled with that Visa which one of the following is technically correct

1) He/She can go to US with a new employer and apply for the transfer there
NO , You can not apply for H1 transfer until unless you are employeed in US (needs pay stub /W 2 etc),You can not work until you have H1 petition approved or filed . First time travel with misleading and confusing documents ,definetly causes immigration problem ,face difficulty and risk of deportation .
2) He/She can use the petition which was used by the old employer to file a fresh visa.
No , Not at all option , H1 petition is used for same Employeer /Visa stamping .
3) He/She can use the petition which was used by the old employer to file a transfer on that visa by new employer.
Sense less , Transfer is not option .
4) He/She HAS to file a fresh visa to go to US. That visa is not valid anymore.
Exactly true !
If you failed to travel in reasonable time even your stamped visa employeer has to provide proper document with explaination .
as per law H1 petition approved needs to be cancelled in 6 months if candidate failed to start work for company

In my case someone is saying that only option 4 is valid and you have to file a new visa.
any suggestions

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: NJ Joshi ]

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Instead of relying on hearsay and internet bulletin boards, it might be better to consult the web sites of the US state department and other relevant authorities, or possibly an attorney that specializes in this area.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic