• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Considering starting a software company

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I'm getting tired of working for the Man. Terrible pointy haired managers, crunches in development. Arrogantly, I tend to think I can do a better job. Well I was thinking of putting my money where my mouth is and starting a small software company. To start with it would consist of me. I would probably try and get some project work and see what happens.

Does anyone have any experience/advice on making this type of move? In particular, how would I go about obtaining small project work? I will be based in London, England.

Don.
[ November 28, 2006: Message edited by: Don Kiddick ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Don,

Could you justify , keeping in mind the highly competetive market , why I should come to you to develop a software .

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Don,

Out of my exp for 5yrs in Software Industry. I can make out the toughest thing is that to get projects, incase if you get, delivering something with quality and what others cannot deliver.

I would suggest if you are 200% sure that you have the right contacts to fetch software projects, it will be the path for you.

Also I have seen the problem of maintaining good talented people with in your company is another challenge when the market is good( I am saying the case in INDIA).

I would also suggest read about the people who has done this successfully and the pain they have taken for it.

Hope I am not discouraging you, still you have to think about it thrice.

regards
Vivek Nidhi.
[ November 29, 2006: Message edited by: Vivek Nidhi ]

Don Kiddick
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Vivek Nidhi:
I would suggest if you are 200% sure that you have the right contacts to fetch software projects, it will be the path for you.

This is what I don't have. My contacts tend to be in investment banks who wouldn't deal with small software companies.

author and deputy
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Don Kiddick:
I'm getting tired of working for the Man. Terrible pointy haired managers, crunches in development.

Don,
IMHO, the inspiration for starting a own company should not be based on negative effects like Wrong managers or bad pay etc.,. That will not drive you long enough. Better choice would be a job change.
Or start being a consultant first bocs, consultancy jobs will give you good exposure on making contacts and contracts.

If you already have proper plans then thats a different story.

Cheers
Balaji Loganathan

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic