• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Are EJB Methods Synchronized ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi

i'm trying to test if my application that uses EJB can fail if two clients access the bean at the same time

I'm trying to launch 4 different threads, each one create an EJB and call the appropriate method

In this method i call Thread.Sleep with a random number (this is only called for Threads 1 and 3)

And i see that thread 2 isn't called until thread 1 stops

I want Thread 1 to loose it's processor, and thread 2 finish first. But this doesn't happen

Are the EJB method Synchronized by default?

The problem is, that these are different beans we are talking about, not the same. So how can this result be?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The anwser depends on the type of EJB:

Stateless: whenever your call a SLSB then you obtain an instance from the pool and so to different threads will obtain two different instances of the same SLSB. If there is no instance in the pool then either the container will create new instances or the thread has to wait until one becomse availalbe.

Stateful: if every thread creates its own instance of a SFSB there is not problem. If they use the same SFSB I am not quite sure what happens.

Entity: if the Entity Bean is not read-only the container will lock every bean used in the thread and so two threads cannot use the Entity Bean at the same time. Here the same Entity Bean also means the same record in the database. In case of a read-only bean there is nothing to worry.

Message Driven: a user cannot call this bean directly but in general a MDB behaves like a SLSB.

-Andy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The EJB 2.0 spec makes the behaviour pretty clear. For session beans, section 7.11.8, entity beans 10.5.11, message-driven beans 15.8.3.

Basically session bean instances and message-driven bean instances can't be shared by a thread.

MDB - the container must make it impossible
SLSB - the container must make it impossible
SFSB - the container throws an exception
EB - configurable

The EB case actually has many, many more variations than just read-only or not. The spec doesn't really care read-only, but it is a variation available in current versions of EJB containers. The whole EB situation is as complicated as you want it to be; basically you get the behaviour that you asked the container to provide. Having one instance in one pool for one entity (PK) is common, but not the only option. You could have multiple instances in one pool for one entity (JBoss has this as an option), you could have an instance in a pool acting as multiple entities via activation/passivation callbacks, you can have any of those replicated across multiple pools of different configuration (the read-only vs read-write case fits here), and you can have all of those together in clustered and non-clustered configurations.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic