• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Seam Too Important For JBoss?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm new to Seam and I know this is heresy, but I'm wondering if Seam as a technology is too important for JBoss to "own"?

Just consider the multitude of questions about JBoss 4.2.0.GA and Seam 1.2.1.GA. JBoss released the 4.2.0.GA app server without any regard to the Seam examples working on it - just when developers are really starting to tune into Seam.

Furthermore, I'm sure the other app server vendors would love to promote Seam as a technology, but are hesitant to do so for fear of undercutting their own app server offering. I have no doubt Seam-clones will soon start appearing under more generic open source umbrellas. (Some might argue Seam borrows a lot from other open source offerings like Spring 2.x.)

I know Gavin King, creator of Seam, now works for JBoss, but am worried that Seam may become too closely associated with JBoss, the app server.

--
jj
[ June 05, 2007: Message edited by: J.J. Jackson ]

author
Python TypeScript Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Then join Seam as a non-JBoss contributor! We certainly welcome contributions (design, code, doc, example etc etc) from outside of JBoss.

Seam already runs on all popular application servers out there and it is licensed under LGPL. So, any other vendor is welcome to bundle it / fork it or whatever.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Exactly, Seam is not owned by JBoss, Seam is open source and fully complies with the LGPL as Michael puts it.

You can always look at it as an association between Seam and AS, but know that you are making that up. How do you feel about Hibernate, Are all the other vendors running away from Hibernate because it is under the JBoss umbrella. No, and they would be stupid if they did run away.

Mark

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
More importantly, we have always intended Seam as a way to advance the standards. Somebody has to develop the technology that tomorrow's standards are based on, right? Seam has already had a huge impact on EJB3 (many things in EJB3 were designed the way they were specifically to support the ideas Gavin had for Seam). We have spearheaded big changes in JSF and in the next round of EE 5 specs. And, of course, don't forget about the WebBeans JSR.

So yes, Seam is too big for just JBoss. We've never seen this a proprietary technology (think spring) but as something that will pave the way for future EE standards.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic