• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

look and feel in rails

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
From Ruby on rails website the look and feel of web pages look similar. Does rails provide some default look and feel.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, it depends. Do you consider "no look and feel" being a look and feel?

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
Well, it depends. Do you consider "no look and feel" being a look and feel?

No I don't. I was under the impression (after seeing screen shots here http://www.rubyonrails.org)that Rails provide easier way to create GUI like tabs, tables etc

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think Pradip has a good question. I remember taking a ROR tutorial online and finding that there are a lot of things built in that take advantage of HTML and styling. There must be some standard ROR way of doing this, right? I didn't write any HTML during the tutorial, yet there was a web display.

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Peter Glass:
I think Pradip has a good question. I remember taking a ROR tutorial online and finding that there are a lot of things built in that take advantage of HTML and styling. There must be some standard ROR way of doing this, right? I didn't write any HTML during the tutorial, yet there was a web display.

Well, there's this thing called scaffolding, which basically generates an initial (ugly) HTML template for displaying and editing your model objects, based on the database schema.

I also wouldn't call that a "look and feel", though, because what scaffolding generates is hardly a "design."

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No, Rails doesn't really supply any look and feel support. It is very easy to do the right thing in Rails (using helpers and good, factored CSS files) to create flexible designs, but Rails itself doesn't do much in the regard. The scaffolding referred to earlier is a classic example of "just enough to show off functionality but not enough to be appealing" design.

You will see a lot of Rails apps that have a similar look and feel, but that has more to do with the "Web 2.0" movement, and not Rails itself.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic