• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Application code compare

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Everyone,

I m developing an utility where in i want to check whether application code deployed in a particular server when copied to other server(same type) remains same or not(i.e i want to develop a comparer kind of software which compares files and folders of same application deployed on multiple servers )and accordingly display to client if there is any files or folders missing in their application code.Please can anyone help me out?For how should i go?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Akii,
Welcome to JavaRanch!

You could check the number/sizes of files and report on what is different. Or you could use a checksum to verify the correct thing was deployed.

How did the clients deploy the files to their server? There might be another way to check it knowing the answer to this.

akii jain
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jeanne Boyarsky:
Akii,
Welcome to JavaRanch!

You could check the number/sizes of files and report on what is different. Or you could use a checksum to verify the correct thing was deployed.

How did the clients deploy the files to their server? There might be another way to check it knowing the answer to this.

akii jain
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
can you just tell me how to display list of all missing files and folders once i perform checksum and also using property class how to retrieve application code deployed on multiple servers using their Internet Protocol address

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by akii jain:
can you just tell me how to display list of all missing files and folders once i perform checksum and also using property class how to retrieve application code deployed on multiple servers using their Internet Protocol address

If you are asking for a coded solution, not I cannot write it for you. JavaRanch is not a code mill. What I can do is help you arrive at a solution. I notice you didn't reply to my question about how the code gets there. That might yield a better solution than my answering your literal questions.

Now some more info on this: You can't display a list of all missing files/folders from a checksum. It's an either/or. The checksum tells you something is missing and you will need to do an exhaustive check to see what is missing. I recommend doing a directory dump (operating system dependent command) and then comparing the files to see what is different. Of course, this only works if all the deployments are on the same operating system.

If you have an account on the remote servers, you can execute commands remotely. If all you have is the IP address, you are out of luck as allowing it would likely be a security risk.

Willie Smits increased rainfall 25% in three years by planting trees. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic