• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need suggestions on education

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone,

It seems I have lot of questions these days for the forum. I am a B.com graduate with a part time diploma in Software from institute called Aptech Computers.

I have total of 8+ (close to 9 years) of experience in IT and presently working with one of the top 4 Indian IT company.

Problem is if I try to change my job, many companies do not consider my profile because I am a graduate in commerce. Even my experience doesn't count for them.

I want to know how can I enhance my education. I wanted to try part time or distant learning MBA but not sure how that will help me.

Appreciate any inputs/suggestions on this please.

Thanks,
Afroz

Ranch Hand
Mac
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just want to let you know that as you are thinking about MBA after several years of experience, means you want to move in management not a hardcore techie. So plan you future in a management area not in technical side.

Afroz Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No input from anyone ???

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Afroz

You can go for a MBA with specialization is systems management. That clearly seems to the appropriate education option for you.

Thanks
Ravi

Afroz Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Ravi,
It seems with so many years of experience MBA is the better option. I will need to research some good institutes for MBA.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Afroz Khan:
Thanks Ravi,
It seems with so many years of experience MBA is the better option. I will need to research some good institutes for MBA.

If you plan to go for MBA then look for some full time MBA programs from good institutes.Distant learning and part time MBA's are not much of worth.

ravi janap
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Rahul that Part-Time MBA or Distance MBA isn't of much worth but yet at times it is not possible for some indivduals for economic or other reasons to pursue a full time MBA option so in that case what is the next possible option and that is to get a Part-Time MBA degree from premier institute like IIM, JBIMS, Narsee Monjee, Symbiosis, XLRI, etc. The MBA degree in this case will not only help you to advance in your current job but will also help you to move to a new job in a new company. I have seen cases of people who have made it big in blue chip companies after having changed their career and have done part-time MBA though such cases are few. What I am trying to say is weigh the options that are in front of you and select the best possible option taking into account your present circumstances and situation.

Thanks
Ravi

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ask yourself a few questions:

Where do you think your passion is? In Management or Technical area.

What do you really enjoy doing and be good at? In Management or Technical area.

I really cannot understand if you have 8+ years experience, why are they still looking at your education? Is your CV more experience driven rather than being academic?

Afroz Khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks all for your valuable input. About myself, I am now planning to move towards management. I'll not be able to take up fulltime MBA due to personal reasons so will have to go for part time or distance.

Recently CTS replied to my application saying they cannot consider my profile as I am B.com graduate(Hope Admin will allow this message). Even many of my friends had the same opinion that after few years of experience what really matters is the experience and not your education background. But I didn't see the case.

As Ravi mentioned few names of the institue like IIM, JBIMS, Narsee Monjee, Symbiosis, XLRI, etc. do they offer distance learning?

Thanks again,
Afroz

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are in Bangalore your best bet will be IIMB's PGSEM. It is a part time program but it has got an good image and the effort should be worth it. If you are in NCR you can opt for IIML's WMP which is a 3year part time MBA program.

ravi janap
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Afroz

I will not advise you a distance education MBA as it has no worth. I don't think any of the reputed institutes offer distance education. Classroom education is always better than the online education.

Thanks

-- Ravi
[ June 28, 2007: Message edited by: ravindra janapreddy ]

Would anybody like some fudge? I made it an hour ago. And it goes well with a tiny ad ...
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic