• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

need help installer for java web application

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi,
i want to make a installer , that will install my web application on a local machine.
my web application runs on Tomcat and database is Mysql.
I want to make a installer that will install ,tomcat,mysql and copy my java files also in the tomcat folders., can it be done .

please reply

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
sure it can be done - that's where all our headaches begin!

lots of "challenges" - 90% unrelated to java [i'm assuming you want to write an installer in java?]

you need to know what "a local machine" looks like, or be prepared to write probes to find out ... OR have a kind enough owner of "a local machine" that s/he/they do(es)n't mind being left high 'n dry after a failed install.

some 'challenges'

1) target machine - OS
2) target machine - java version and env settings
3) tomcat - version and distro
4) mysql - version and distro
etc

the tomcat install alone comes in lots of flavors, depending upon the target environment. (last time i installed tomcat, i even had different env string for RH versus other *nix... as an aside, have you tried jet? install is much cleaner last time i installed.)

all-n-all, your headaches will be more related to configuring a server than installing a java application, or even writing a java installer. unless all of your target machines are completely identical, then you will probably spend more time writing a *good* installer than you spent writing your app ... THEN will come the really fun part of keeping the installer up-to-date.

if you follow the approach of the 'big guys' in web apps, you'll put together your binaries, sources, and - if you're really nice - write an installation doc and FAQ.

but good luck!

It's just a flesh wound! Or a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic