• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What to do next?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm getting my B.S. in Computer Science, graduating next year, and had a few questions. I've taken tons of classes in Java, since all of them use it basically, ranging from the basic stuff to data structures. I wouldn't call myself and expert, but I fairly good with Java. Here's where I get to my question. I've been looking at job positions, and that call for Java experience and usually say something about J2EE, JSP, or a bunch of other acronyms. All I've ever had to use for school is J2SE, and for along time I was just using Notepad, but for the past year or so I've been using the wonder that is Eclipse . Basically, my question is this, where should I go next? All those acronmys I mentioned earlier, which are the most important to know when looking for a job? Is just knowing how to do programming in Java good enough? I'd like this to be a Java topic, not learn C++ or something, cause I already have experience with C/C++, PHP, VB, and more. Thanks in advance, and I hope this was the right board to post this in.
[ October 09, 2004: Message edited by: Billy Boob ]

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Billy,

One thing you could do: check out our naming policy, which you may have missed on your way in. It requires that you use a full, real (sounding) first and last name for your display name. "Joke" names are explicitly verboten. You can change your display name here. Thanks!

Billy Bob
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not to sound bad, but how do you know it's not my real name? It really is, but if you want I can change it to something different.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hee hee... boob

Billy Bob
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
haha it's so funny, whitepages.com returns 90 results for it, but im thinking most people, like me, don't have a name like this listed lol.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
U can do a certification that's an added advantage in seeking a job.
Srini

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Billy Boob:
It really is, but if you want I can change it to something different.

If that's your real name, than I beg your pardon, and no, I don't want you to change it. I thought it was possible that your name was something along the lines of, oh, "Bradford Johnson," let's say. Just a guess.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Learn how to use all those tools and acronyms well. I assist with hiring at many clients and see hundreds of resumes. They all look the same: J2EE this, JDBC that, certification, yadda yadda. Few of them stand out from the rest.

Any schmuck can figure out how to code and deploy an EJB. But what really works? Read books, articles, etc., and figure out for yourself, what best to do and what best not to do. Emphasize that you know how to best solve problems using all these lovely tools. Learn about what makes for a good OO design and what doesn't.

-j-

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Billy Boob:
Not to sound bad, but how do you know it's not my real name? It really is, but if you want I can change it to something different.

Just don't try to tell us that you have a twin.

Think about what you want to specialize in. There are so many specialties within Java it is mind-boggling. J2EE and JSP are for Web development. If that sounds cool to you, learn that. Or maybe you'd like to specialize in building graphical interfaces with Swing.

Take a look at the list of forums here and decide what you think would be fun to learn.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
well pure programming is going to the sweat shops. You'll need some related knowledge to best use your skills.

Myself, I am an electrical engineer, and use my software skills to solve problems and create tools for EE problems and situations.

You can do the same with J2EE, etc. So no, its definitely not enough to have pure programming experience. Join a few interesting open source projects and learn from some of the programmers there. That way you can gain experience in any particular field you may want.

Also consider where you want to work. Consider the major industries there. programming experience goes well as a chaser for other skills.

Of course as a CS you probably have software architecture skills and design too. I don't have much experience with that software path so I couldn't advise you much.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello.If u know basic Java i.e if ur core java is very good that it's good.Technology is ever changing but basics remain basics.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First of all. I don't think this is not an advanced topic because you've taken tons of classes. But anyway : I agree with Jeff and I would like to add that I don't think there is a guide that really tells you what to do. Therefore the best advice I can give you is that you should just follow your heart. Because what you like to know, read about and study will change within every five years. When you would like to know more about those acronyms, read and study, when you feel you really don't care, don't. Because in the end it is all about having the right idea at the right time in the right place. And it isn't about knowing a lot of acronyms, tools or other new features invented by just another marketeer who wants to sell a product.
[ October 12, 2004: Message edited by: Arnold Reuser ]

Paper beats rock. Scissors beats tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic