• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Info Required -- Job, Relocation, R2I

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I need information from people on this forum.

I have a firm Job Offer from a company in Pune. It is one of the top notch IT company's of India (will not post the name as per the forum guidelines � so don�t even ask  .

As I will be moving from US I had a few questions:

1. How much will a 3 BD apartment/house cost in terms of rent? Don�t want to buy a house straight away.
2. Also is my Offer of 18L reasonable for Pune ? (Suggestions / comments). I know there are always extremes in terms of salaries. I have myself hired numerous people for different roles in my working career and have a fair bit of idea about the process and how salaries are skewed
All I am interested at this stage is to make sure I am in 50-75 percentile for my experience in India as I start to rebuild my career again in India after almost a decade. I don�t want to find few weeks after I joined that I am at the lowest end of spectrum and feel dejected.
I have 11+ years of experience in IT industry, a degree from top notch college in India, and Masters from a US university.

Please provide me honest feedback information. I would be thankful for all posts and would greatly appreciate posts from people who are from Pune.

As a parting note is it better to be in Pune VS Blre ? Any experiences to share ?? I mean from what I hear in BLR the cost of living has shot up drastically?

Thanks in advance
-
[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Joseph Raina ]

Ranch Hand
Mac
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Joseph,

First of all, hearty congratulation for taking decision of moving back to India.

Yup comparatively Pune is better then Blr. But again we are trying to compare who is the worst among worsens.

First of all you got a job while staying in US with a good package is a very good sign, my one of the colleague with more then 15 years of exp trying to get job in India, but yet not successful.

Regd. numbers of your package, just wondering, people who are at the career of higher middle level management will look for package or look for roles and responsibility. As you are getting an average decent package, I think you should concentrate on what kind of role you are going to play in your organization, because money is biproduct of it. Or Let's take this way if your company offering you 18 LPA for playing role of chief architect or group lead and another company offering you 21 LPA for playing role of just an architect or a manager, which one-- will you choose?

If I were you, would have joined a mid sized or small company with a very good position then joining a top notch organization, because after spending 11 years in industry I don't need a banner.
[ January 17, 2008: Message edited by: Jignesh Patel ]

Joseph Raina
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jinesh,

Your point is well taken in terms of roles.
My role in equivalent to Senior PM. To be frank I though it is better to take something reasonable, move back and see from there.

Just like you said it is not that easy to have an job offer in India while being physically in US. Even though lot of people have pulled it off with great sucess.

-

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic