• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Reference to java.lang.reflect.Method

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all!
I have some sort of AOP adviser class (a cross-cutting concern). So it is thought to transparently get calls from many different objects.
Now, I don't know weather it is possible or not, but once this object get's the call, I would like to create or to have an instance of the calling class (the object), and a reference of the calling method (java.lang.reflect.Method).

I dream of something like:

Is that humanely possible?
Best regards and thanks in advance
XM

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Possible, but not 100% reliable. Thread.currentThread().getStackTrace[0] is a java.lang.StackTraceElement object which can tell you the class name, method name, source file, and source line for the currently executing method. For non-overloaded methods, that's enough. For overloaded methods, you could use the source file/line number and something like BCEL to examine the line number tables in the class file to figure out which overload is being invoked.

Of course, sometimes source file/line number isn't available. And some methods may be "optimized away" so that they don't show a stack frame at all!

So, the bottom line is you can do it, it's not terribly hard, but it won't always work.

Marx Villegas
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great! what I need is just a referential thing, so probably I don't need to care about the overloads.
Thanks a lot Ernest
XM

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic