• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Market in UK

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers:

I'm a Java Developer with 4 years of Java, JEE development experience. I've been mostly developing Web applications with Java, JEE and Oracle technologies in Banking and Content Management domain.

I am planning to work and live in the UK for the next few years for various personal reasons. Before just starting up with the visa formalities, I thought I would get to know well about the Job market (particularly Java) in the UK. How bright are the chances for a foreigner to land up in a job in the UK? I am a Sun Certified Web Component Developer and I do have OCA too.
Do the recruiters in the UK seek for certifications in resume for shortlisting candidates? Should I update myself with any other specialized certification before going to the UK?

I would appreciate if someone can give me hints / ideas about how I should go prepared for the UK market.

Thanks !

Hick

Graeme Hick
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Hick Skis:
Hello Ranchers:

I'm a Java Developer with 4 years of Java, JEE development experience. I've been mostly developing Web applications with Java, JEE and Oracle technologies in Banking and Content Management domain.

I am planning to work and live in the UK for the next few years for various personal reasons. Before just starting up with the visa formalities, I thought I would get to know well about the Job market (particularly Java) in the UK. How bright are the chances for a foreigner to land up in a job in the UK? I am a Sun Certified Web Component Developer and I do have OCA too.
Do the recruiters in the UK seek for certifications in resume for shortlisting candidates? Should I update myself with any other specialized certification before going to the UK?

I would appreciate if someone can give me hints / ideas about how I should go prepared for the UK market.

Thanks !

Hick

The post went really down in the list before some mates from the UK gave a look into it.
Sorry for re-re-opening. Thanks

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Hick Skis:

The post went really down in the list before some mates from the UK gave a look into it.
Sorry for re-re-opening. Thanks

I believe getting Java job in UK is extremely difficult if you are trying from outside UK. There are various reasons for it. What I heard is visa rules are strict now, moreover in order to hire employees from outside UK companies have to give paper advertisement for sometime. If they don't get any responses within certain period they will get permission to import man power from outside UK. However, this is exception to specialized skill set.

Anybody, please validate my assumption.

Graeme Hick
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Sai Surya:

I believe getting Java job in UK is extremely difficult if you are trying from outside UK. There are various reasons for it. What I heard is visa rules are strict now, moreover in order to hire employees from outside UK companies have to give paper advertisement for sometime. If they don't get any responses within certain period they will get permission to import man power from outside UK. However, this is exception to specialized skill set.

Anybody, please validate my assumption.

Yeah, You are right. I am planning to get a Tier-1 visa and so I just mentioned "before starting with the visa formalities..."
Sorry for not being clear in the OP.

My questions are for when I'm in the UK.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Since you have four years of experience and also have got finance industry experience it should not be too hard. Brush up your fundmentals and make sure your resume is upto date. Also try googling for UK Java Jobs to do a bit of a research on sought after technologies, salary scale, etc.
[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: arulk pillai ]

Graeme Hick
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by arulk pillai:
Also try googling for UK Java Jobs to do a bit of a research on sought after technologies, salary scale, etc.

[ May 29, 2008: Message edited by: arulk pillai ]

Arul,
Thanks and I'll do that. BTW, Are you working in the UK?

I am also seeking some inputs from folks who've moved to the UK in the recent past on HSMP / Tier1 visa and did a *java* job search.

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I do not work in UK, but some of my colleagues gained employement there. They sent their resumes to some of the job agencies along with intended arrival dates to get the ball rolling.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi there,,
now its around 2 yrs since i have started working at UK as a java developer,, in the financial domain. I am under the HSMP scheme.
From what i have seeing, i would say that employers over here dont emphasise too much on certifications,,, but mostly check for experience ,, and the ability to take uo tasks and work on them quite independantly.

there should be no problem for you to find a job over here, since you have experience.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mahen ,

Please check your PM.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

[ August 18, 2008: Message edited by: Tapan Bora ]

Ranch Hand
MyEclipse IDE Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Even i am eager to know the Uk job market in java .
Please suggest me any sites when i can alteast search for this info.

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did you try to google for -- UK Java Jobs

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also I would like to know
1) how much is the total cost for getting HSMP ?
2) how much cash do you need in hand before moving to uk ?
3) can you fetch a job staying outside uk (telephonic interview )
4) I had 8+ years of experience (j2ee) how much salary can I expect?

thanks in advance

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mahan,

I have 4.5 years of exp in Java,J2EE.I am trying for HSMP. Can you please clarify the following??

1. Are there only developer jobs in UK?
2. I am currently in Prod support
3. How will be interviews there? like more scenario based questions or ..??

Thanks

Wait for it ... wait .... wait .... NOW! Pafiffle! A perfect tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic