• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Improve Leadership skills

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am recently being asked to lead a team of 3. I don't have the expertice (leadership) but just that i have good knowledge of the system i am working on.

Can i have your opinions on improving leaderships skills.

Is it a in built trait which cannot be developed.. I am very nervous about this challenge given to me.. My PM told me that if i do well in this project i will get promoted.

I am desparate to do well.

Please guide..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It depends on where you are.In India ,managing team is techno manegerial kind of thing.I used to manage team of twelve sometime back.Guiding juniors in technical work to getting work done from them(manytimes talking sweet to sometimes talking straight).Sometimes even planning transportation, planning the cabs etc for people.

Justin Russo
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks.. Are there any books that can help develop or put some kind of inspiration?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some argue that leaders are born and others that they can be made. (Coincidentally, everyone who teaches leadership falls into the latter category. :-) I think it can be taught.

First ask if in your current role you need to be a manager or leader? They are different.* My guess is you should focus more on managerial skills rather than leadership skills.

There are plenty of books on both. The managerial books tend to cover management processes, techniques, tools, and people management. Leadership books tend to be more academic, although many leadership instructors also recommend simply reading biographies of great leaders you admire. There are also lots of courses on management; leadership courses tend to be confinsed mostly to management schools.

--Mark

*There is much debate over where to draw the line, but IMHO the most succinct description of the difference between the two is, "no one ever managed people into battle."

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It can be built but not as easy as reading a book. Requires a lot of effort to conciously apply what you read. Try to have some role models and see what they are doing right? Constantly perform self-assessment and get your friends, colleagues, peers or superiors to tell you where you can improve.

Start with books as Mark suggested but more imporatantly put it to practice.

Justin Russo
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks everyone.

Any Books you can suggest ..?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Justin,

I'm also under the similar situation. Leading a 5 member team for last 3 months. My experience is also quite scant to match up with genuine TL exp., mine is 4 yrs.
I dont think, any book can transform you in to a leader. You need to inculcate your mind with leadership sense. Leaderships comes from knowledge/communication. my key take away from my past 3 month experience as TL are as follows:

1. Respect your team member, give them freedom. Dont be a strickler all the times looking for deadlines & issues.
2. Make sure whatever goals you set for your team members. They should be measurables & team should be awared about on what basis they will be gauged.
3. Dont boss around the people. Nobody likes it. If you are senior then people can digest but being a younger leader, people can escalate issues against you.

last but not the least point is earn respect with in your team by showing great problem solving skills or being a hard negotiator with clients on timelines etc.

I emphasize more on prgamatic approach...dont be bookish..All the best..

arulk pillai
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

1. Respect your team member, give them freedom. Dont be a strickler all the times looking for deadlines & issues.
2. Make sure whatever goals you set for your team members. They should be measurables & team should be awared about on what basis they will be gauged.
3. Dont boss around the people. Nobody likes it. If you are senior then people can digest but being a younger leader, people can escalate issues against you.

Good points. To add further

1. Treat others how you would like to be treated. For example no body likes to be micro managed.

2. Collaborate with your team memebers and empower them to do a good job.

3. Be a good listener and communicate effectively (e.g. choose your words carefully). Understand the cultural differences. I.e Empowerment leadership

4. Where necessary put yourself in others' shoes.

5. Set an example by doing it yourself first. I.e. Lead by example

Google for Leadership case studies and you will some useful information.

Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good one.Two equally important points are:
1)Patience-This is very much required.Facial expressions covey alot than written mails.Whether you are approachable or not depends on how quietly you answer without showing anger on your face/your tone.
2)Reading people's mind-This is tough I believe but very important and comes over practice.

Ranch Hand
Scala Monad
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Leadership" seems a buzz-word, particularly in a software development environment. Probably you'll get many, many definitions on what it means.
If you insist on books, I absolutely recommend "Peopleware".

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Peopleware" is a great book.

"Leadership is an Art" sounds good, haven't found the time for it yet, though.

I have also heard good things about "Behind Closed Doors".

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Gabriel Claramunt:
"Leadership" seems a buzz-word

I wholeheartedly disagree. Leadership applies in any and every business. While it is sometimes a buzzword, I think it's less so in software than other industries. If I had to list software buzzwords Web 2.0 and others are thrown around much more in our industry.

--Mark

Mark Herschberg
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Peopleware, btw is my all time favorite software book. I think it's one of the best management books out there, although I don't think it's that good for leadership, although again I think your role might call more for management than leadership.

--Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The following book will provide great benefits. Enjoy!

Software Leadership: A Guide to Successful Software Development
by Murray Cantor
Paperback: 224 pages
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0201700441
ISBN-13: 978-0201700442

Available at Amazon.com

Justin Russo
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks everyone.... Will try my best to work on all your good suggestions..

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A Good Leader must feel the pain what the team member has. Its not understanding, it is taking their feeling in your heart... Evaluate that if that looks Right, they we have to fight for him (even though it may be you higher authorities)

A Leader should NOT always say YES to their bosses, do that is not a Leader ....
[ June 02, 2008: Message edited by: Rose DeWitt ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Check out this link:
Leadership

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic