• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

confussed with career

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am working with TOP Service/product co. of the world, in India, Delhi and having 4.5 years of exp all in java/j2ee technologies,

I am having good experience in jsp/servlets/jsf/sturts/ejb2.0/ejb3.0/web services
and with IBM portal Server/IBM MQ Series and WAS and have very good chance of learning IBM Wbisf (BPEL) process within 2-3 months.

Actually my projects is purely SOA Based and using all IBM product including ibm adaptors/messagebrokers too

but my package is 4.4 only, (after recent increment) and my friends are telling me to change the company right away and to make my package correct i.e upto market standards
but I am into delima weather to leave this good company and go for money or should i take much experience in this showcase SOA project.

my purpose of writing here is

1. What is the future of SOA (though many have started it but still not enough grown)
2. I am still "system engineer" here and i could get promotion in coming December(but not sure and chances are quite less), so should i leave now and what will be the chances to become Tech lead position in new company(directly from s/w engineer) or i will be only promoted to sr.s/w engg.
3. I am planning to go for SCEA and IBM Certified Solution Architect.
how will be the chances of getting Tech lead kind and Architecture kind of job, as i am interested to become Architect ?
4. is current market in India is ok, to go for change and get secure job ?

I am really getting short of money but can do lots of free certificate in current company and attend good amount of trainings ( thought really not needed)

kindly reply

[ July 15, 2008: Message edited by: amit taneja ]
[ July 19, 2008: Message edited by: amit taneja ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1. What is the future of SOA (though many have started it but still not enough grown)

A "service-oriented" architecture is tough to build. Also, there are many, many different ways that one can be built. To be done correctly and effectively, it takes many, many years of incremental steps both at the business and technical levels. There is also a large costs that typically requires a strong enough strategic vision to see into the future about 10 or 15 years. This is a rare skill that many organizations do not have.

Based on your questions, I would suggest that you remain at your current position and try to identify a second way to make money, i.e. get a second job, create a product.

Also, your written English is extremely poor. Instead of focusing on these technical certifications, you should study English and take a course or two to improve your writing abilities. This will help you program better as well.
[ July 14, 2008: Message edited by: James Clark ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hey Amit,

I think you are being paid very less compared to the years of experience you have. It seems you have knowledge in most of the areas.
So I'd say enough of the learning.. look for something that pays you better. IMHO, people tend to learn when give a project.. so you'll be able to manage anywhere.. you can never learn everything.

Rgds

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
HI Amit,

From your post it looks like you have good opportunity in your company to learn technical stuff. Your salary is less for the experience you have and less than industry standards in INDIA. You may discuss with your manager about your salary hike. Before doing this do the analysis about salary for your experience in industry.

As James suggested you should improve the written skills. To get promotion in addition to technical abilities, communication skills and writing skills are also important.

2. I am still "system engineer" here and i could get promotion in coming December(but sure), so should i leave after getting promotion and get Tech lead position in new company.

If you enjoy the work what you are doing now then I suggest that you continue in your present company. Discuss with your manager regarding your salary expectation. With promotion you will get hike also.

4. is current market in India is ok, to go for change and get secure job ?

India market is not bad. I see many opportunities for product based companies. I am not sure about service based companies.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Think all of these before chaning job
-Consider kind of work environment you are working in
-work culture
-benefits you are recieving
-how much of learning opportunity you have at your current job
-look at some of the people already working since long, how did they manage their growth in your current company, and what are existing opportunities at your company
- you can improve your skill(technical or english) working at same company or some other company too

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In Sydney Australia, the SOA is gasthering good momentum. I am currently working on a SOA project. But as I have mentioned in my book, not all companies recognize one's potential until he/she puts in the resignation . I got my big pay rises either moving companies or having other offers to re-nogiate my remuneration. You have to look after yourself

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic